WD-40 as an attractant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw an old man bank fishing for bass using hotdog weenies and wd40.

Truth is,... it doesnt attract fish. The scent of the wd40 masks your scent. Considering wd40 is not the best thing in the world, I would suggest using something a bit more friendly to our friends in the water. I can almost guarantee you will get the same results by spraying scent lock on your lures or rubbing them in rotten chicken livers.

Years ago when stink bait came in glass jars, I had one break in my catfishing tackle box. There were a few lures in there as well, and it sure seemed like the lures that came out of that box caught more fish.
Worked out pretty good though. Go sit on a crowded fishing dock, open up and tackle box, and you would pretty much have the dock to yourself. Man that stuff stunk:yikes2:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main ingredient in WD40 is fish oil. I've heard it works!

Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago WD-40's formula was changed. Some of you may remember that it used to be a good starting fluid? No more.

This subject came up at a bass fishing seminar I took at Rose State several years ago. The pros (Daves and Van Damm are the two I remember) said they thought that maybe the WD-40--the new formula by that time--killed the human scent on the bait or lure. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom