WD-40 as an attractant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember many years ago, my grandpa used to spray our bait with wd-40. We were catfishing at the time. He said it would help catch fish. I don't remember catching much but I wasn't very old at the time. I forgot all about this until I just read this thread, I will have to try it again next time I go fishing.
I also remember using wd40 as bug repellant.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They've done studies. 60% of the time, it works every time.......

On a serious note, I've heard alot of people (typically older fishermen) swear by it, however I am questionable as to how well it really works and in this day and age, there are lots of spray attractants specifically designed for fishing that I assume would work better

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always heard that one of the worst things you can do is get gas, oil etc on your hands from your motor and then touch your lure. I would definately be skeptical of this, however with the luck I've had bass fishing this year I may just go buy a small can for the tackle box.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm like many of you. I done heard it works but never tried it myself. I have used it to lube up my reels and such but can't say if it helped me catch more fish. May have to try it out 2 rods same bait 1 with WD-40 added and other without and see what happens. If anything its another reason to hit the water.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It worked extremely well for me in Alaska while fishing for halibut and rock cods. I have not experienced the same for tunas, groupers, or snappers in the Gulf though.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw an old man bank fishing for bass using hotdog weenies and wd40.

Truth is,... it doesnt attract fish. The scent of the wd40 masks your scent. Considering wd40 is not the best thing in the world, I would suggest using something a bit more friendly to our friends in the water. I can almost guarantee you will get the same results by spraying scent lock on your lures or rubbing them in rotten chicken livers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom