Weapon mounted lights. Specifically pistol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I am sure there have been a dozen or more threads about this.

But I’ll start by issuing an apology. Once upon a time I argued that weapon lights are not a good idea and a waste of time and effort just to look tacticool. Now.... as I have aged.... as my eyes have grown older.... my body grown older.... I am leaning towards putting one on my in house defense pistol.

What’s the highest lumens you should realistically need to work a house in the instance there is an intruder? Better yet, what of you need to go outside to locate the source of a noise or disturbance? Is there a good, “all purpose”, lumen range?

Thanks

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on my Springfield XDM compact 40 cal. 300 lumens, attaches easily and stays there, puts out a great amount of light for inside or searching the perimeter of your home. For around a $100 I'm satisfied.
Ditto, TLR-1 is my go to. you can go fancier, or higher lumens, but its just kills the battery faster. The only other thing would be the strobe, but that has the chance to be disorienting to you also, not just the target. When it comes to weapon lights you have to think its dark for at least 50% of a day. Dark or poorly lit corners or rooms need light, but a switch may not be placed where you are. And that bad guys generally prefer to work in the dark. But hey im no tactical timmy, im just a dumb @$$ civilian, so what do I know?

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Streamlight TLR-7 500 LUMENS, small,lightweight, 1.5 hr. Run time.
IMGA0647 (1).jpg

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
300 to 500 is a good range, but much depends on what kind of paint you have on your walls. With low gloss paints you can have brighter lights and not get blinded by the refection

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any brands that are superior to others? Yet... affordabale for a school teacher?
Streamlight's stuff is a great alternative to Surefire. Surefire is the cream of the crop.

Beware of counterfeits on Amazon. I got burned but Streamlight customer service was top notch and made it right. Amazon gave me only crickets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom