well done, Okiebryan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, after seeing yet ANOTHER news story on how a felon was caught on the streets with a gun they bought with cash at a gun show, I thought that it might be a good idea to have UBC at gun shows like Colorado does. None of want to see violent criminals buying our guns from us, and it seems that some unlicensed sellers at gun shows aren't exactly being careful. I wasn't under any false hope that we would prevent criminals from getting guns, I just didn't want criminals getting OUR guns. If criminals know they can easily get guns at shows, then more and more of them will do exactly that. Conversely, they know they can't easily get them at FFLs, so their attempts to do that aren't common.

I asked for reasons why we shouldn't do that, and was given a lot of non sequiter and slippery slope fallacies. I pointed out the illogical arguments and asked someone (anyone) to help me connect the dots... how that UBC at gun shows would ultimately lead to confiscations. I also was told I was a traitor and a collaborator, among other things. Great convincing argument! NOT. I'm a logical thinker. I don't just take very much I'm told at face value without looking at it thoroughly myself.

Finally, another person in another thread showed me a reasonable connection... how that UBC would be basically unenforcable, and that would set up an argument for full registration. That was the link I needed to understand why UBC (even just at gun shows) could be a real problem.

I now oppose expanding background checks, and admitted that I was wrong here on this board. but apparently that's not good enough for some people. You can't please everyone, and I'm not about to try.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess you weren't the only one who neglected to connect the dots so another could understand clearly. Glad we are on the same page now. Can we get back to working together to retain our rights, or are the other nits you would like to pick?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Guess you weren't the only one who neglected to connect the dots so another could understand clearly. Glad we are on the same page now. Can we get back to working together to retain our rights, or are the other nits you would like to pick?

I don't think it is nit picking to want to keep our rights and freedoms.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question: Some of the signs used for Saturdays rally were quite creative. Are the sayings used protected by law, or can we use those sayings in articles we write against gun control?

Appreciate any help or guidance.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't see how you would have any issues. I, too noticed several I hadn't seen before. I loved the sign that said "I got so angry, I made a sign"

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If a person sees the error in a certain belief or says something unpopular, steps forward to admit they're wrong and apologizes, I see nothing wrong with just letting it go. Of course, it''s also not unreasonable to require a certain period of time to allow the 'offender' to rebuild trust through future actions and words.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If a person sees the error in a certain belief or says something unpopular, steps forward to admit they're wrong and apologizes, I see nothing wrong with just letting it go. Of course, it''s also not unreasonable to require a certain period of time to allow the 'offender' to rebuild trust through future actions and words.

That's where I stand on the subject.

WideLoadTimmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question: Some of the signs used for Saturdays rally were quite creative. Are the sayings used protected by law, or can we use those sayings in articles we write against gun control?

I've read more articles than I can count over the last month and I see a lot of the sayings that were written on those signs in these articles. I wouldn't imagine you'd have any trouble just as long as you do like OB said at the rally and verify the correctness of anything you say in your article, assuming you're writing one.

Last edited:

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What are you writing for?

I have a column up in this section...you can't help sometimes representing many of the same ideas embodied by the signs. I'd say go for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom