Well, lets see em!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
hey parks, its a matter of right click,left click thingy really. double click on the photobucket image to make it bigger then right click to "copy", then left to copy.left click again on the bottom of the four image options to the right of the picture. when you post in the thread, right click to open the "paste" option and left to paste. good luck,pics are a must!

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks buddy. I still have 2 doe rifle and 1 doe bow(can buy one more) left to fill, so I may be out there again early next week. The place I hunt is pretty plentiful in deer. It's a large private lot inside another much much larger private lot. Only downfall is that it's 1.5 hrs away, and 30 bucks a day to fill is getting pretty expensive.... I do enjoy it quite a bit. It gives me the chance to humble myself and allows me to empty my mind and talk to God :)

tell me about it, I drive a half ton chevy and while 20mpg highway isnt bad I live in OKC and hunt in NASH! 2 hour drive just to get to our little sweet spot. Went out there saturday and shot my firs ever deer, 6pt I posted earlier. Now we went back out today and there wasnt much going on. I was after a doe and so was my brother in law. Ended up he didnt get a shot but I did....

first I had a little scoundral to eliminate so the does would come around
i876.photobucket.com_albums_ab325_88gmchog_Guns_073b1b20.jpg

He was at about 65 yards out from my tree stand.

Then I was out stalking and looking for a good spot to make a stand, when I wondered up behind this gal. And when she gave me a semi broad side shot at 50 yards she fell on the spot.

i876.photobucket.com_albums_ab325_88gmchog_Guns_1aa5c4b7.jpg

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I finally got me one today. My wife and I went out this morning and set the decoy out and had an exciting morning. We had the decoy set up and once the sun came up I did a little bit of rattling and had a forked horn come in and he investigated the decoy for about 20 minutes and then left. Then about 30 minutes later I rattled again and the same forked horn came back from the same direction he came from and as I'm watching him, I glance over at the other hillside and see another deer coming down. Turned out to be another forked horn and he makes his way down to the decoy and investigates him for about 10-15 minutes. It was a pretty cool morning seeing what the reaction of the deer made when trying to figure out why the decoy isn't moving, lol.
Once the forked horn leaves, about 10-15 minutes go by and I mutter something to my wife and she says, "SHUT UP, theres a deer on the dam" which is about 30 yds from my wife and she is getting frustrated with me because I keep asking "Where"? And I can't make out what she is saying so I just wait and out pops an 8 point on top of the dam. We watch him go over to the decoy and he's all bristled up and was about to knock my decoy over so I decided to shoot him. I hit with the first shot at about 100 yds. away, he turns and runs right in front of me so I rack another round and shot him on the run and just dropped him in his tracks at 0848.

i1177.photobucket.com_albums_x353_SWRhodd_P1000444.jpg

i1177.photobucket.com_albums_x353_SWRhodd_P1000436.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
great story hodd, good looking deer. only tried using a decoy once and it backfired. i had shot a coyote and tossed him in the truck by the decoy. i was running late for the evening hunt and forgot to clean up and de-scent the decoy. you should see how fast a deer can run when a decoy smells like a coyote!

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
great story hodd, good looking deer. only tried using a decoy once and it backfired. i had shot a coyote and tossed him in the truck by the decoy. i was running late for the evening hunt and forgot to clean up and de-scent the decoy. you should see how fast a deer can run when a decoy smells like a coyote!

Just a heads up, its rhodd, lol. But ya, you gotta get your decoy clean and scent free. I wash mine in the shower with some of the scent free body wash. Then when I set him up, I spray him down with Team Fitzgerald's Deer Dander and spray some dominant buck urine on the back legs. Works pretty good, imho.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn’t even planning on shooting till....

i was basically being lazy about the opening day. had plans for sunday to go out with a buddy. i bought myself a new game camera for an early b-day gift on friday and figured i would go out saturday (opening morning) and set it up behind my house, to see if i got the camera setup correctly. i mostly have does out behind my house and have never pressured them. as i make my way back into the area, they step out to eat on the field, so i crouch off into this neck/drop off area and watched. wind blowing like a sonfa----- to north, and i'm watching them to west...about an 2hours go by, and i start across the open field to where they were at. i get there an i spook up a doe and this buck in the heavy tree line about 30yrds in front of me, i freeze, they freeze. about 10minutes of a stare off finally ends and they walk off threw the thick wooded area. i watch and noticed i may of interupted a love session because ol boy went to town on that doe a few times...lol. figured that was good for him to spread his seed. so i still stand in my spot and he makes his way threw the area about 50yrds in front of me again, he knew i was still there and was very skidish....but also i think mad, he must of thought i wanted his girlfriend..LOL. he starts heading north as i look west and i eye balled and opening just off my right at about 50yrds. the doe then goes jogging by him threw my window and he walks with catuion as he gets into my opening he is quarting away, raise the gun nice and slow and touch the trigger on the ol' .223...CRACK....he pulls up the right leg, jumps the creek and barrells end over end....down at 40yds. so i then give a great thanks to my father in law for buying some toys. i went and got the ol' BIG RED and it did the job ......10x's better than dragging his a$$ 500yrds up to the house.

i watch these deer from my house which is about 450--500yrds out about everyday of the year and never have seen this guy....gotta love the rut.

oh and i didn't worry about the game camera for this spot...load this buck's carcuss and camera on the 3-wheeler late saturday and headed up the road to a friends house that says he has a coyote and ?big cat? problem. i checked out pics on sunday (my b-day), nothing there, went over to an area a little ways away and did a little yote calling....in about 10mins, up pops a yote from i don't where...CRACK...the ol' .223 does it again....yote down..

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_2011riflebuck1.jpg

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_2011riflebuck3.jpg

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_2011coyote.jpg

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_2011coyote1.jpg

That a really nice buck, and a nicer three wheeler! Your FIL has good tastes in ATV's. :D Mine never leaves the pickup during hunting season..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I'd better get on the board. I've been out so much, haven't had time to post anything.
First is a buck I took opening day. Nothing special, but he was starting to gain some mass. Its a tiny little area in the middle of a section. Okie4570 was kind enough to stop for a visit, and take the photo.
Next doe was taken tuesday evening about 30 minutes before dark. She had three different bucks on her tail, but sadly had to ruin their evening.
Last pic was Wednesday morning. Had a group of 4 does come up the trail. She was the biggest, so she got the call.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_771ea359.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_b32507f3.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_e1f84420.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom