What are the best public lands for spring turkeys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where in Western or Central OK can I find a lot of easy to call, dumb Rios? For some reason, the turkey numbers have taken a big hit on the private land where I normally hunt (east-central OK - Eastern birds).

Where do y'all go? What's good? Anyone here let me hunt on their land for free or a small fee? Last year I saw ZERO turkeys and only heard one. Year before I only saw two turkeys and only heard a few. Before that, they were pretty thick. So I'm hurtin here; help me out! :)

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need some private land that has no hunting pressure for the turkeys you are talking about. I never see them on public land. You got to work hard for them on public and it is a real victory when you succeed. My brother shot one at Canton many years ago and he had been hunting out there for several years before he got that one. It was a young jake but he still says it was the most satisfying turkey hunt he ever had, and he has killed a bunch of whoppers since then. Plan on working hard and not getting too much success. Every once in awhile though, you may hit it right and just get one that is ready to come in. You can't kill them at home and you might as well be out enjoying the outdoors.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dumb Rios don't last long on public land.

The one bird I have killed on public land was an eastern and dead quiet all morning except for a spit and drum he did right before I shot him.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have killed a couple big birds at Ellis County but I ambushed them. The trouble with driving out there to hunt is that you can not scout it well and you can't learn the birds habits.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The boy and I killed a bird at Lexington WMA last year. That place was covered up with turkey hunters and the warden told us that people had started calling a month before season and had the birds on edge to say the least. I would not suggest normal turkey hunting tactics, we killed ours with purrs, soft clucks and scratching leaves and they came in quiet. Good Luck!

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I used to hunt out west on a wma every season, and always killed birds.. The first couple days you can get on them and have results calling, but after that put your bushwacking gear on and try and get in front of them.. This has worked very well for us. Knowing where they roost and setting up a few decoys and just not calling at all and being patient works also..

Latest posts

Top Bottom