What brand of dog food do you feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsican

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Continued from above.

THE MAIN FOOD LIST, GRAIN-FREE –
*Addiction Foods – Salmon Bleu and Viva La Venison ONLY (made by Taplow Ventures, Vancouver BC; Pied Piper, Hamlin TX; and Texas Farm Products, Nacogdoches TX), www.addictionfoods.com NOTE - Calcium and Phosphorus too high for a pup. Wait until after 2 years old to use!
*Canidae Corp. (made by Diamond Pet Foods in Lathrop CA, Meta MO and Gaston SC), www.canidae.com
*Champion Pet Foods, Acana Grain Free and Orijen (made in their own plant, BC Canada), www.championpetfoods.com/orijen
*Diamond Pet Products, Taste of the Wild (made in their three facilities in Lathrop CA, Meta MO and Gaston SC), www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com
*Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance, Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Formulas (made by Diamond Pet Foods, Meta MO), www.naturalbalanceinc.com
*Firstmate Pet Foods, Firstmate Grain Free (made in their own plant in Chilliwack BC Canada), www.firstmate.com
*Fromm Family Foods, 4 Star Surf N Turf(made in their facility, Mequon WI), www.frommfamily.com
*Horizon Legacy (made in their own plant, Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada), www.horizonpetfood.com
*Merrick Pet Care, Before Grain (made in their own plant, Hereford TX), www.merrickpetcare.com
*Natura Pet Products, EVO (see ON PROBATION FOODS!)
*Nature's Domain, at Costco (made by Diamond Pet Foods, Gaston SC), www.naturesdomainpetfood.com
*Nature’s Variety, Instinct (made by Pied Piper Mills, Hamlin TX), www.naturesvariety.com
*Petcurean Pet Nutrition, Now! and Go!Natural Grain Free (made by Elmira Pet Products, Ontario Canada), www.petcurean.com
*Solid Gold Health Products, Barking at the Moon (made by Diamond in Meta MO or Lathrop CA), www.solidgoldhealth.com
*Wellpet, Wellness CORE (made in their own plant in Mishawaka IN; Hagen Pet Foods, Waverly NY; CJ Foods, Bern KS; American Nutrition, Ogden UT; Diamond Pet Foods, Gaston SC and Lathrop CA), www.wellpet.com

USE CAUTION IN FEEDING GRAIN FREE FOODS TO GROWING DOGS! Many grain free foods (for instance, EVO) have calcium and phosphorus levels that are too high for growing giant pups. Feeding those foods can harm your puppy. So the general rule is steer clear of grain free until your dog's growth plates have closed (usually around 2 years of age). Also be aware that I don't think there have been any studies of long-term effects of feeding grain free foods that contain higher calcium and phosphorus levels to adult dogs.

THE SECONDARY FOOD LIST (wasn’t fully disclosed where the food is made) –
*By Nature (unable to find out where it is made), www.bynaturepetfoods.com
*Halo (unable to find out where it is made), www.halopets.com
*Kent Feeds Haven (unable to find out where it is made), www.havenpetfood.com
*Science Diet Nature’s Best ONLY (unable to find out where it is made), www.hillspet.com
*Timberwolf (will only say they use a manufacturer in the Northeast and that they are the only one to use them), www.timberwolforganics.com

ORGANIC FOODS –
*By Nature Organics, www.bynaturepetfoods.com
*Castor & Pollux, Organix, www.castorpolluxpet.com
*Natura, Karma Organic, www.karmaorganicpet.com
*Natural Balance Organic, www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/Organic.html
*Natura Planet Organics, www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/naturalplanetorganics
*Petguard Organic, www.petguard.com/usda-certified-organic
*Wenaewe Organic, www.dellanaturapet.com/proadult.html

ON PROBATION FOODS –
*Natura Pet Products, All Foods (California Natural, EVO Grain Free, Healthwise, Innova, Karma) (made in their own plants in Fremont NE and San Leandro CA) – I have placed them on probation because in 2010 they sold themselves to Proctor & Gamble. Based on P&G’s track record, we may see a slip in the quality of these foods due to the conglomerate forcing Natura to utilize the same suppliers who sell ingredients to Eukanuba and IAMS (both low quality foods). Yet, if that doesn’t happen these products could remain very high quality. So I didn’t want to drop them from the list entirely but wanted to raise a caution flag. www.naturapet.com
------------------------------------------
**Note for 2011 – I decided to drop Blue Buffalo from my top food list due to the disturbing development last year where it appears some of their formulas had a vitamin imbalance that led to many illnesses for dogs. Yet up until the very end, Blue Buffalo refused to admit there was a problem. After a group of vets banded together, the company finally issued a recall. This makes it difficult for me to trust that the company has the best interests of the animals at heart.

AGAIN: I DO NOT OWN THIS LIST NOR DO I MAKE ANY CLAIMS TO IT.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looks like I'm the only one so far that feeds an all raw meat diet.

My parents feed their two Tollers a combination of chicken necks and cottage cheese. One of them kept having to get tumors removed, but they stopped showing up shortly after the switch to a raw diet.

I'm thinking of getting a CBR if I can find a pet-friendly residence when my lease here runs out. I'll probably feed raw if I can learn enough about it to make sure I do it right.

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions to try. I'm feeding IAMS right now but dog doesn't seem to like it like he used to.

We feed raw. I do this with both my dogs and my cats. I switched back in 2007 after getting tired of watching animal after animal come through our clinic doors in organ failure because of a lack of caring on a food company's part. My dogs eat a mixture of beef, turkey, chicken, venison and anything else I can get my hands on. I actually make my cat's food. I purchase free range rabbits from a local farmer. I dispatch and clean them and then send them through a American Eagle meat grinder (bone in). In the 3-4 year we've been feeding raw, I've not only watched two cats diagnosed with IBD become completely non-symptomatic, I've also stopped having to perform dentals on all dogs and cats (their teeth are pearly white) and have stopped dealing with 90% of allergies (I still have one dog who is allergic to grasses/molds/clover and goldenrod and he flares badly during Oklahoma summers).

For anyone who is wanting to do research into your pet's food, start with the internet. There are many places online that rate foods based upon their ingredients and contents. Those of you who are recommending science diet should think back to 2006-2007 and the thousands of animals that were killed by tainted foods (regulations which have NOT been changed by science diet). I've worked in Veterinary Medicine for 10 years and no longer recommend many of the commercial diets which are commonly sold in vet offices---I see no reason to recommend a food product that sends a pet to the hospital instead of prevents it.

This is a great place to start: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

For those of you who are ingredient readers, you should make sure that whatever food you're feeding has at least 2 proteins listed as the first 2 ingredients. High quality food will lack fillers such as corn, wheat, soy, etc. You will also want to ensure that your foods do not contain any preservatives known to cause organ failure and death such as ethoxyquin and BHA/BHT.

Remember, the FDA states that in order to receive approval to be fed to pets the food must "be able to sustain a pet"--that literally means just keep it alive. It says absolutely nothing about thriving. You'll do best by your pets to put in the foot work and know what is going into their body.

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Science Diet, There is nothing better. JMO!

I don't mean to sound rude but I'm just curious, have you looked at a bag of science diet? Do you know what they put in their foods? Since I do this every day, I'll show you what I mean:

This analysis is for Science Diet Large breed adult:

Ingredients (all those with concerns are in bold, see below):

Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal
, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, Dried Chicken Cartilage, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, Potassium Chloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

To top things off, this product is mainly corn. Dogs cannot properly digest corn. Corn is the #1 cause of allergens in dogs. So, you're paying for poop and potential allergies with this food. This is seconded not by a real protein...but by a meal of by-product (wings, legs, inards, heads, feathers, etc). Science Diet isn't even putting whole MEAT into this food. They follow this up with soy meal, which is a cheap filler. It has been placed on the confirmed list for a cause of canine allergies. They also add soybean oil in, for good measure. And, to be fair, they add chicken cartilage in the food...not like it does a lot for pets, but we'll be fair and at least show for the record that they did put it in the food and, indeed, it came from chickens.

The rest of the food is additives and preservatives. They even add taurine in, which dogs do not need (they can manufacture this amino acid on their own) and salt (too much of which will cause kidney problems).

If science diet is your choice, that's cool. But I think it's fair to give a real assessment of what they put in their foods. So few people turn that bag around to realize they're paying for filler and very little, if any, real animal product.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Royal Canin GSD - German Shepherd. From all the hardcore GSD breeders/showers I have ever met, they say it's the only food you should feed a GSD.

Jonny

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iam's large breed is fortified with Glucosamine to help lubricate the joints....if you've ever had to put your friend down due to displaysia you'll know how important this is.

I try avoid foods that list corn or a corn product as one of the first 3 ingredients.

Iams Large Breed ingredients:

Chicken, corn meal, ground whole grain sorghum, chicken by-product meal, ground whole grain barley, fish meal (source of fish oil), chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and citric acid), dried beet pulp (sugar removed), dried egg product, natural chicken flavor, potassium chloride, brewers dried yeast, salt, flax meal, sodium hexametaphosphate, calcium carbonate, vitamins [vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, vitamin A acetate, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, niacin, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), inositol, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid], choline chloride, minerals [ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, potassium iodide, cobalt carbonate], dl-methionine, l-tryptophan, glucosamine hydrochloride, rosemary extract. (http://www.petco.com/product/2229/Iams-Large-Breed-Adult-Dog-Food.aspx)

Did you know?

It might be better to feed a different food and supplement with a real joint supplement like glucosamine chondroitin. Glucosamine works best on joints when used in conjunction with chondrotin. Iams is being cheap and making it *look* like they're using a good product, but they're not. And such a small percentage is probably not helping any pet in the long run, most especially a pet who is predisposed or already symptomatic of dysplasia or another form of joint issues.

Moreover, if you read the ingredients the amount of glucosamine they're putting in this food is 350 ppm (parts per million). A 50# dog needs about 500-1000mg of glucosamine chondroitin per day. This food, sadly, only contains TRACE amounts of the product they're bragging they use...

This is what I mean when I say that a company's advertisement needs to reflect what's actually in the bag.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Royal Canin GSD - German Shepherd. From all the hardcore GSD breeders/showers I have ever met, they say it's the only food you should feed a GSD.

Jonny

Looking at their ingredient list I'd say there are other options. I was told Royal Canin was really good until I did some reading.

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at their ingredient list I'd say there are other options. I was told Royal Canin was really good until I did some reading.

I concur. Royal Canin is a better food than many (and much better than the above mentioned Iams for glucosamine chondroitin) but it's not necessarily any better than some other foods as far as ingredients. I also still includes things that are not great. Perhaps going through and analyzing the ingredients one by one might help...soy often causes allergies (funny, because RC says they're focus on the skin aspect of the GSD who tend to have some sensitivities in that department) and a lot of the food is filler.

Latest posts

Top Bottom