What Brand of Reloader??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

First let me state that I'm not trying to cause any arguments..just your experience and advice.

Okay, now to the questions:

1st. Being a total novice, would you recommend a provressive loader for me. I have read articles where a beginer should not be using a progressive loader. I guess a "single stage"?? To teach the novice?

2nd. I'd like (yes, I know the cost) to buy it all in one purchase. Meaning..not getting a "beginer" press then having to nickel and dime yourself to buy a new loader or continously buy upgrades. If that's the way it is..so be it.

3rd. You..yes you. What brands and models do you recommend? Customer service..good or bad. Warranty..good or bad. Quality of product..for later years and endurance..good or bad? Did you piece it..meaning using different brands..example: Lee scale, RCBS dies..whatever else..or all the same brand.

4th. It will probably be a year to a year and a half before my purchase. So, I'll see if H&H offers any classes, watch youtube, and ask buddies if I can watch and learn as they reload.

My main goal is pistol caliber...but, I'd like the option to load rifle loads also. Is there one loader that does both or does any loader do this. No 50 caliber...probably 300 caliber or less for rifles. 45 LC, 38sp, or 45acp for pistol.

**Is a reloader the way to go....for cowboy action..I'm concerned that if there's a shortage of ammo at the sporting stores...will or is there a shortage with primers, powder, bullets...etc?

Any and all information is apprciated. No arguments on which is the best (chevy or ford) just your experience and what to look at and what to pass on.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1st. Being a total novice, would you recommend a provressive loader for me. I have read articles where a beginer should not be using a progressive loader. I guess a "single stage"?? To teach the novice?
I would recommend a turret press or a single stage. The Lee turret press allows the reloader to operate in "single stage" mode by simply removing the advancing rod. Pretty simple.

2nd. I'd like (yes, I know the cost) to buy it all in one purchase. Meaning..not getting a "beginer" press then having to nickel and dime yourself to buy a new loader or continously buy upgrades. If that's the way it is..so be it.
Lee offers their turret press in as a kit with everything but dies to get you started, but you will quickly realize that you will want some accessories, like a digital scale and the powder measure. The good news is that as you upgrade, you will continue to use the older components. For example, you would use the sliding scale that came with the kit to cross-check the digital scale. When yo upgrade to the primer feed, you will never look back.

3rd. You..yes you. What brands and models do you recommend? Customer service..good or bad. Warranty..good or bad. Quality of product..for later years and endurance..good or bad? Did you piece it..meaning using different brands..example: Lee scale, RCBS dies..whatever else..or all the same brand.
As you can see, I am a Lee fan. I've dealt with their customer service a couple of times. They were always helpful and courteous. Both times they sent replacement parts that I needed no questions asked. Excellent customer service, good prices and quality product. It was the trifecta that made the decision for me. Most Lee dies are very good. RCBS also makes excellent equipment and I'm not knocking any other product. For the beginner, the Lee Turret press is the best bang for the buck, JMHO.

4th. It will probably be a year to a year and a half before my purchase. So, I'll see if H&H offers any classes, watch youtube, and ask buddies if I can watch and learn as they reload.
I would recommend you get a reloading manual first and foremost. Read the chapters on the basics and ask questions. A reloading manual (Lymans 4th edition is what I use the most) is a critical part of the reloaders tool chest.

My main goal is pistol caliber...but, I'd like the option to load rifle loads also. Is there one loader that does both or does any loader do this. No 50 caliber...probably 300 caliber or less for rifles. 45 LC, 38sp, or 45acp for pistol.
Most Reloading presses will handle both rifle and pistol calibers. 50cal is it's own animal. Pistol is typically easier to reload than necked rifle cartridges.

**Is a reloader the way to go....for cowboy action..I'm concerned that if there's a shortage of ammo at the sporting stores...will or is there a shortage with primers, powder, bullets...etc?
Reload for the enjoyment and the process and to get a custom round. Cowboy action shooting is the perfect example of what a reloader is perfect for. Lighter loads, cast bullets. It's perfect! This last ammo shortage led to shortages of primers, powder and bullets - and in some cases brass. Stock up now so when the lean times hit, you can keep reloading. Once you find the powder you like, buy it 8lb. kegs or bigger. bulk bullets are fairly inexpensive. Primer availability has come back and, if you look, you can find them

You might even consider casting your own projectiles after you start reloading.

Good Luck! Ask lots of questions!

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I started out loading on a Lyman turret press. It's shortcomings between speed and accuracy quickly became apparent. I then moved to a Hornady LNL progressive AP and can load 100 rounds of 9mm in under 10 minutes if I really want to push it. 100 rounds in about 15 minutes is a pace I am more comfortable with if I am going to be setting at the press for a long time. Since moving to the progressive, I have taught 3 other individuals to reload starting on a Hornady LNL AP. I am a fan of starting people out on the equipment they think they are going to need. Since you are primarily focused on pistol calibers, by all means, go with the progressive. It is a waste of time and energy to buy a 'starter press'. I do not agree with the sentiment that a beginner should not learn on a progressive press. Whether you use a progressive or single stage press, attention to detail is still key. I will also say that I use a single stage almost exclusively for my accurate rifle rounds. It's not that a progressive won't work in this regard, but I have a higher level of control with a single stage press, and some of my dies are not compatible with a progressive. If you think you may want to take this path, then a single stage as a starter press really becomes a great tool to use after you 'step up' to a progressive.

2. The above really answers question 2 as well.

3. I am a Hornady fan. I really like their Lock N Load bushing feature for quick die changes. A lot of people like Dillon, but I think caliber conversions on the Dillon are pricey and more complicated than they need to be. Hornady and Dillon both have great customer service, so whatever you choose, you will be happy with. Whatever press you get, get the LED light system so you can see down into each and every case. I do not use a powder cop die and have (knock on wood) never had a squib or double charge because I am able to see down into every case.

Last piece of advice: Never reload to "save money". You won't and you never will, so don't even try.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just some random thoughts.

Go to Brian Enos' web site, he has some great information on what press to buy basing it on your anticipated usage. That's where you need to base your decision from keeping in mind that your anticipated usage may grow. I used to have 2 RCBS rockchucker jrs with case kickers and I thought I could load large lots. That is until my definition of "large lots" changed.

My Dillon 650 is faster and simpler than the Hornady LNL I had. All of them have their merits and you can single load on a progressive just fine.

My bench has blue (Dillon 650) and pale green (Redding T7 turret) on it. Sounds like a Dillon 550 for pistol and a Redding T7 for anything short of .50BMG would suit you just fine and would be capable of pretty decent qtys. If you go completely crazy at a later date you could always add a Dillon 1050 for that caliber.

Edit to add more random thoughts:

As to build quality: I've had Dillon, RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Redding and Hornady. From my reloading of 25 years, I'd put Dillon at the top for progressives hands down, no questions, no discussion needed. Redding would be at the top for single stage and their T7 turret has no equal. RCBS would follow very closely to Redding with everyone else behind them.

Don't buy a "beginner" press or equipment. It will only frustrate you. Get quality and enjoy yourself, I get as much enjoyment out of reloading as I do the shooting of the ammo I make. Well almost...

Customer service: RCBS = Great; Dillon = Great; Hornady = Great; Redding = Great; Those are the ones I've dealt with, can't speak for others.

Last edited:

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started many years ago with the old Lee Loader in .243. I've stayed with Lee ever since. I have been very happy with my Lee 4 hole turret. I'm not going to say it is the absolute best equipment in the world, because it's not. But it works, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and I make very good ammo with it. I use it for .44-40 for CAS, .38 Special, .45ACP, .223, .243, .270, .30-30, and .45-70. It is not complicated to set up, but the primer system does have a bit of a learning curve.

I'd have to look again, but I think the Anniversary kit comes with a scale and the Lee Auto Disk powder measure. I'm not real fond of the scale, but the Auto disk is a good measure. There's nothing wrong with the scale, just kinda hard to lock it in to the desired weight. I'd also recommend getting a powder trickler.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This subjects brought up quite a bit here. Most of us like giving advice about equipment. I do too.

It probably is best to start with single stage presses and then step up to progressives. I have an RCBS "rock chucker" and a Dillon 550 and a Lee hand lever press.

If money is no object buy more than one press. You will find uses for more than one. There are no bad choices when buying presses. I have never seen a reloading press that is totally junk when new. Yes some are better than others but the worst ones will load good ammo.

You can learn on a progressive. It will give you more things to learn at once but if you take your time and use your manuals it will work.

You can't buy it all at once. You can get everything that you need at once but you will always want more stuff.

Components are hard to find now. Stock up when you find what you want.

Canadian Valley Tech Center has reloading classes as well as H&H. If you have a friend that loads have him teach you.

There is nothing wrong or right about mixing brands. There are different quality levels even with the same brand name.
Many times the lower quality stuff will do the job even while the higher quality stuff is clearly better. I would not be afraid of used equipment either.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Asking about it here will get you many different answers. I am pretty sure that they are almost all good answers. Look at past threads here and on other forums.

Read customer reviews on equipment at midwayusa.com and other online companies. Read some other forums too. Go to H&H and bass pro and look at display models.

If you pick one out because you like the color you will still get ammo that will give you a little bit of DIY pride.

There have even been threads here that list the equipment you will need.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I let a friend that I trusted pick out my first reloading setup. I paid $89 for an RCBS rock chucker kit. I still use all of it but that nasty lube and lube pad that came in it. That same kit will cost you at least triple that and it is still a good choice.

There are a lot more choices now and that just makes it harder to choose. I have recommended Lee presses to several friends because of price and they were happy with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom