What call to start with..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to try calling in a coyote later. Using my Foxpro, should I start immediately with the dying rabbit or would you start with something else.?

What volume do you start with..? Quiet to LOUD..?

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We start with a dying rabbit or any type of distress call. Called in a pair this weekend in the woods with a squrriel distress call. We turn it up as loud as it will go and then let it run for a minute or so and mute it. Then back at it for a few minutes.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to start quiet in case one is laid up real close to me. I have had them run in literally in seconds. Then I get louder after a few minutes. Any distress call will work but I love Lightnin Jack and Lucky Bird. I use different sounds if I come back to the same place again and try to call from a different spot. I am sure this was too late to help you but it is what works for me.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to start quiet in case one is laid up real close to me. I have had them run in literally in seconds. Then I get louder after a few minutes. Any distress call will work but I love Lightnin Jack and Lucky Bird. I use different sounds if I come back to the same place again and try to call from a different spot. I am sure this was too late to help you but it is what works for me.

This! Only thing I would add is for me it depends on what am I calling and what is the terrain I'm calling. If I am straight up trying to kill a coyote I will start with a coyote vocalization.The exception for this is the fall. Too many young coyotes are scared off that time of year by vocalizations. If I am calling an area that has bobcat or fox I will wait toward the end of the stand and use a pup distress.

Scott

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do more howling, barking, fighting, yelping etc and then toss in some distress calls. Sometimes we start distress but it just depends on the situation. If u can get yote to respond to howls and such then u know u have there attention and it makes it easier to figure out what that specific yaote wants. We also u mouth calls more than electronic, simply cause its easier to change up quicker if u see or hear a yote respond.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do more howling, barking, fighting, yelping etc and then toss in some distress calls. Sometimes we start distress but it just depends on the situation. If u can get yote to respond to howls and such then u know u have there attention and it makes it easier to figure out what that specific yaote wants. We also u mouth calls more than electronic, simply cause its easier to change up quicker if u see or hear a yote respond.

I bought one of those Randy Anderson howling calls a few years ago. Took it out to the woods. Stuck it in my mouth, sucked in a big lungful of air to make the best howl you've ever heard, blew on that reed,.....and that POS acted like a Sabre saw. That SOB vibrated in my mouth and cut my tongue in 2 places...! Never seen the like, looked like I'd been in a fight and lost..! Went out coyote calling and ended up bleeding out the mouth. That thing got thrown about as far as I could throw it into the pond. From there on it's been electric calls. Won't ever use another open reed mouthcall, except for maybe turkeys..!

Latest posts

Top Bottom