What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any evidence to show how the poison will, or won't, affect the local ecology and and our food/water supply?

From what I've read, the opposition is most concerned about losing revenue or hunting opportunities than any ecological effect, but from what I've read about warpharin, the OPINIONS are mixed as to whether there could be any collateral damage.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its warfarin and its a rat poison that they use to thin the blood. It will kill anything not just pigs. If they put it in a feeder there will be dead coons, turkeys, deer and everything else all over the place. Could set deer and turkey hunting back 50 years.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its warfarin and its a rat poison that they use to thin the blood. It will kill anything not just pigs. If they put it in a feeder there will be dead coons, turkeys, deer and everything else all over the place. Could set deer and turkey hunting back 50 years.

I think you are being a little overly dramatic, but since I'm kind of on the fence about the pig poison anyway, I'd sure like to see any hard data you have to prove your claims.

There is a couple threads going on a TX hunting board I'm on, and the biggest opposition seems to be from recreational hunters. The proponents for the poison appear to all be land owners. Funny how actually having skin in the game impacts your view of a situation...

Last edited:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Funny how actually having skin in the game impacts your view of a situation...

Yes it does. Those damn pigs tear up my fields regularly and we hunt and trap the hell out of 'em. Seems they just reproduce like rabbits. Looking for hard data as to the effects of the poison, do not need a bunch of dead animals lying around or screw up the natural order of things around here. Often wondered about some form of chemical sterilization that only affected the hogs, maybe someday.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Just adding some information I looked at tonight.

Warfarin is an anticoagulant (blood thinner). Warfarin reduces the formation of blood clots. Warfarin is used to treat or prevent blood clots in veins or arteries, which can reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, or other serious conditions. Warfarin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Warfarin Uses, Dosage, Side Effects - Drugs.com
https://www.drugs.com/warfarin.html

The latest USDA program includes $1.5 million for the research center headquartered in Fort Collins CO, where scientists have made sodium nitrite studies a top priority.

Sodium nitrite, used as a salt to preserve meat, can keep red blood cells from grabbing oxygen in live animals. Unlike people, pigs make very low levels of an enzyme that counteracts the chemical. Feral hogs that eat a large enough dose of sodium nitrite show symptoms similar to carbon dioxide poisoning.

So far, baits haven’t hit the 90 percent kill rate on test pigs needed for EPA consideration. Once it does, approval could take up to five years.

One problem is creating baits in which feral hogs will eat a lethal dose. Sodium nitrite tastes nasty and breaks down quickly in the presence of air or water, making it easier for pigs to smell and avoid, said Fred Vercauteren, project leader in Fort Collins.

Microencapsulating the compound masks its smell and keeps it stable longer.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Often wondered about some form of chemical sterilization that only affected the hogs, maybe someday.

I'm fairly confident the intent of the pig poison is for it to only affect pigs too. I've put game cameras on pig carcasses several times, and personally, I've only ever seen buzzards scavenging on dead pigs.

From someone who has been battling pigs damage for over 20 years on an agricultural basis but still enjoys hunting them recreationally, I'm still kind of on the fence about the poison, BUT I'm sick of special interest groups and people who stand to profit from them making decisions FOR ME.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I mentioned in another thread about the accumulation in the liver, and this article confirms that it would only hold a "therapeutic" dose to humans. I say feed it to them. As far as the sterilization idea, if that worked with any species with great results, we'd be using it everywhere. In RMNP they attempted to control their elk heard by birth control on the cows, at a cost of $3k per cow, and was only marginally effective the first year, and proved to be less even on the second year. So they still take out what's needed by a group assigned with a dose of .308.

Latest posts

Top Bottom