What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got these little SOB’s this morning, and they have ruined my wheat plot.

Attachments

• FF10B963-A29A-48B4-A86F-7CF7060EA114.jpeg
    FF10B963-A29A-48B4-A86F-7CF7060EA114.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 154

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to eat them.
I do feel sorry for all of you that do not have time to kill them.
You can get a night time permit to hunt them here.
Wire Snares work well.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No snares are not illegal in Oklahoma.
There are rules though. Copy and pasted from here.
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/laws_regs/nco2.htm

Traps and other similar devices set by or under the direction of a NWCO must adhere to the following:
1) Traps must be checked at least once every 24 hours whenever practicable and all animals removed.
2) All trap devices must have a metal tag attached and visible with the NWCO’s name and phone number. The name and number on the trap tag must match the NWCO’s name on the permit or the company of his/her employment.
3) The NWCO may use cage (live) traps, foothold traps, enclosed trigger traps (dog proof) and body gripping style less than size 330 unless water set for beaver when a 330 may be used)
4) The NWCO may use snares (snares set on or just above ground level shall be equipped with a locking device that prevents the loop from closing to a circumference less than 10 inches. Snares set above ground such as in an attic do not need the loop restriction

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry but they are illegal in OK. The common trapper can't use them or body grips, that's why they're not listed in the "traps permitted".

• Legal traps: Box traps; smooth-jawed, sin - glespring, leg-hold steel traps with a jaw spread no greater than eight inches; smoothjawed, double-spring offset jawed, leg-hold steel traps with a jaw spread no greater than eight inches; enclosed trigger traps (dogproof traps). Any trap not listed here is illegal.

You're comparison is like saying that concealed carry is legal in a courthouse or jail/holding facility because LE can. It's is illegal, unless you're LE. Snares and body grips are illegal unless you're a NWCO.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or if you are under the direction of an NWCO which is not hard to get to happen especially if you have a real issue with them.

If I had an issue with Hogs I would contact the wildlife department and ask about snares on your own property as in the link it stated Feral swine you are exempt from getting an NWCO.
Some laws are iffy at best for what they post for us to read .

Latest posts

Top Bottom