What clothing do you wear to work on cars???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old clothes that if I ruin them..oh well..throw 'em away.
Same here. Coveralls, at least in my size, are freaking expensive, so I just use old jeans and t-shirts.
I'm more concerned with my hands...either blue rubber gloves to keep the liquid stains off or work gloves. I hate oil or tranny stains under my fingernails...just me.
Oddly, if you buy nitrile gloves at WalMart, the cheapest are the big boxes the pharmacy area. Next are the small bags of gloves in the automotive section, and the most expensive are the bigger packages in the automotive section.

ETA: That's the cheapest per-glove price, not per-package. It's the same way with lynch pins at Atwood's--they're significantly cheaper to buy loose than in the package.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of jeans, shorts, some tees and a sweatshirt that are for wrenching, painting, carpentering & lawn care. When I worked full time in construction I wore coveralls but that was because it was winter in South Dakota, if you worked outside you wore coveralls or you died.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not like coveralls. I would always seem to scratch a fender with the zipper whe I would lean over it. There are some actual mechanics coveralls out there with protected buttons and zippers. But they are expensive. My fix are certain clothes that I do not care to throw away. I keep a clean set in the garage and sometimes strip down to my skivvies and put o the clean set and put the greasers in a five gallon bucket in the garage with dish soap and water to pretreat.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should wear a thong and flip flops so you don't scratch the paint. :burnout:

a man thong at that LOL

Same here. Coveralls, at least in my size, are freaking expensive, so I just use old jeans and t-shirts.

Oddly, if you buy nitrile gloves at WalMart, the cheapest are the big boxes the pharmacy area. Next are the small bags of gloves in the automotive section, and the most expensive are the bigger packages in the automotive section.

ETA: That's the cheapest per-glove price, not per-package. It's the same way with lynch pins at Atwood's--they're significantly cheaper to buy loose than in the package.

I get the big box from Sam's Club...that is another delima of mine...I own some of the nicer mechanics gloves, but i always seem to go back to the convenience of disposables...anyone else on this one?

I do not like coveralls. I would always seem to scratch a fender with the zipper whe I would lean over it. There are some actual mechanics coveralls out there with protected buttons and zippers. But they are expensive. My fix are certain clothes that I do not care to throw away. I keep a clean set in the garage and sometimes strip down to my skivvies and put o the clean set and put the greasers in a five gallon bucket in the garage with dish soap and water to pretreat.

Awesome idea...do you just use cold water from the hose or what? Also, how long do you pre-treat and how much soap do you put in per gallon?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get the big box from Sam's Club...that is another delima of mine...I own some of the nicer mechanics gloves, but i always seem to go back to the convenience of disposables...anyone else on this one?
I have some mechanic's gloves that I'll use for some tasks (notably, the ones where I'm having to force my big mitts between sharp pieces of metal), but for anything involving automotive fluids, it's strictly disposable time. I tell you what, there's not much that stinks worse than burned transmission fluid, and it won't completely wash off of good gloves, something you remember right after you've scratched an itch on your upper lip. :puke:

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What clothing do you wear to work on cars???
Khakis, button down shirt, and nice dress shoes & hand my keys to the mechanic.

...cause I dont work on cars anymore. Hell, they all look like space ship motors when you open the hood!

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Working airplanes, we have what we call bunny suits, military throwback I think. White cotton coveralls with Velcro closure. You can get them at army surplus.
Also I use pinesol in the wash regularly, does three things, cuts oil. keeps clothing and towels from souring, keeps these new washers from mildewing. for real oily or diesel fueled up , use regular pinesol. For regular everyday clothes use a scented pinesol , I prefer lavender scented .
Nothing worse than drying off with a sour towel except wearing a sour shirt .

Elance

Latest posts

Top Bottom