What clothing do you wear to work on cars???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone use coveralls or dedicated attire to project in your garage, or do you just wear old sweats or jeans, and a shirt you don't care about??? Also, I want to know what shoes you like? work boots, or comfortable tennis shoes or what for working in the garage on cars? I have wanted to make the switch to dedicated attire JUST for car projecting (such as coveralls or dickies) but it is nice when you lay in a puddle of tranny fluid or whatever to be able to toss your clothes in the garbage if they get too bad...grease and gear oil also are not fun to wash in my wife's washing machine so I am curious how others handle this clothing quandary?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have certain jeans and shirts specifically for oily work.

I try very hard to keep oil and grease cleaned up so that I don't lay in it or get it in my hair. That's the best thing you can do. When the clothes get really badly soaked in oil, I will let them steep in the garage sink with some soapy water (dawn works best for me)

They can then be run through the washing machine (by themselves, no regular clothes) without leaving behind a greasy mess. works good.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have certain jeans and shirts specifically for oily work.

I try very hard to keep oil and grease cleaned up so that I don't lay in it or get it in my hair. That's the best thing you can do. When the clothes get really badly soaked in oil, I will let them steep in the garage sink with some soapy water (dawn works best for me)

They can then be run through the washing machine (by themselves, no regular clothes) without leaving behind a greasy mess. works good.

Well i don't have a farm sink in my garage but that is a great idea you have...I also try to stay clean and it is RARE that i actually have a lot of oil on my clothes, but it can happen...my biggest complaint is the grease balls that fall on the ground like little pieces of black paste and then they get all smashed into my clothes...that can make your back or butt pretty dirty in a hurry. I like the idea of some sort of coveralls but they'd be hard to wash and I am too anal to wear them smelling like gasoline with no wash in between car repair sessions.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old clothes have always been relegated to my car monkey'ing around wardrobe. I work on my cars and trucks as a hobby so I am usually in em.

We have kids, now theyre teens and older, but oily clothes are the least of what has been washed in our washers. My wife buys me big containers of dollar store cheapie clothes soap for my car workin clothes.

Just put a can of Coke in the washer with your oily clothes if youre worried about it. Learned that trick when I was working in the oilfields as a youngster.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old clothes that if I ruin them..oh well..throw 'em away. I'm more concerned with my hands...either blue rubber gloves to keep the liquid stains off or work gloves. I hate oil or tranny stains under my fingernails...just me.

Also an old blanket or towel...100% soft cotton or terry cloth material. For the engine work, leaning on the side of the fenders working on the engine.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another good way to keep the "grease-balls" away is to use a creeper. Suckers are a life-saver, but not everyone like them.

Haha so u know the ones of which i speak...I used to have a creeper, but I found it more work than I liked...maybe I will give one a try again in the future; the one I had was a cheapie...I know there are some more ergonomic ones.

Latest posts

Top Bottom