What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple months back, I put together a gun cart for CAS use. Bought a tray that holds 4x .30 cal ammo cans.

Loaded each can with seperat caliber. Tray fits perfectly in bottom of cart.

Really like how it turned out.
Decided a few more ammo cans would be useful.

Harbor Freight had their plastic .30 cal ammo can for $2.99.

I picked up 3. Wish I had gotten 4 more.

Not quite as heavy as the MTM, but they fit the tray.
Cart is ready for trip to S. C. R. A. P. Have scopes to sight in.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple months back, I put together a gun cart for CAS use. Bought a tray that holds 4x .30 cal ammo cans.

Loaded each can with seperat caliber. Tray fits perfectly in bottom of cart.

Really like how it turned out.
Decided a few more ammo cans would be useful.

Harbor Freight had their plastic .30 cal ammo can for $2.99.

I picked up 3. Wish I had gotten 4 more.

Not quite as heavy as the MTM, but they fit the tray.
Cart is ready for trip to S. C. R. A. P. Have scopes to sight in.
Harbor freight has those ammo cans on sale this weekend for 2.99 again.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loaded a whopping 10 rounds of .308 today for my M24R, and then shot 6 of those.

Shot 10 rounds yesterday at 450, and noticed that my two groups were a little lower and right of where I was thinking they should be. Remembered that I've usually shot off the side of the house (off concrete) and not in grass, so I decided on a very small test:

Sample size of two, 3-shot groups is wayyyy too small for valid results, but it did show a trend.

Shot off the side of the house again. 3 shots with my bipod on the concrete, then 3 shots with my bipod on the grass.

Looks like my POI shifted about 2", or about 2/3 MOA or .2 mil.

20230413_132428.jpg

20230413_132434.jpg

Loaded the last 4 rounds into the internal mag and put it in the safe for the next coyote that I see.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loaded a whopping 10 rounds of .308 today for my M24R, and then shot 6 of those.

Shot 10 rounds yesterday at 450, and noticed that my two groups were a little lower and right of where I was thinking they should be. Remembered that I've usually shot off the side of the house (off concrete) and not in grass, so I decided on a very small test:

Sample size of two, 3-shot groups is wayyyy too small for valid results, but it did show a trend.

Shot off the side of the house again. 3 shots with my bipod on the concrete, then 3 shots with my bipod on the grass.

Looks like my POI shifted about 2", or about 2/3 MOA or .2 mil.

View attachment 367528

View attachment 367529

Loaded the last 4 rounds into the internal mag and put it in the safe for the next coyote that I see.
You thinking Bipod bounce?

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You thinking Bipod bounce?

Yep. It has zero effect on group size (for me), but I started noticing that I was having to go .1 to .2 mils less on my other rifles after I had gathered DOPE out in the pasture.

I'm going to repeat this test with a couple other rifles in the future to see if the results are the same.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. It has zero effect on group size (for me), but I started noticing that I was having to go .1 to .2 mils less on my other rifles after I had gathered DOPE out in the pasture.

I'm going to repeat this test with a couple other rifles in the future to see if the results are the same.
Good to know. I had never heard of it before until I starting watching/listening to the Vortex Podcast. There is some truth to it.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loaded 15 rounds today for a seating depth test of a new bullet and powder for my original 6.5x47.

Didn't bother making a dummy cartridge because it was cut with the same reamer and freebore as my other 6.5x47L, and I was at the lands at 2.130 CBTO / ~ 2.750 COL with the same bullet on the other gun.

^ Let's see if that bites me in the butt 😄.

When I tried that bullet in my other rifle, I went .020 - .060 in .010 increments. I duplicated that for the original rifle today.

Testing Reloader 16 for the first time ever too.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ Blah, blah, blah. Tested that new combo today in winds way too high. Still found a promising depth. Threw a couple shots too...not that I'm immune, but two in about 5 rounds got me irritated.

Screwed off for hours with reloading stuff after I got the lawn mowed. M-I-L showed up with my niece, and I prefer not to be around either so it gave me hours to myself.

Annealed all 250, 6.5x47 cases for my second "twin". Then prepped and loaded (15) 130gr ELD-M for seating depth testing, and another (15) 120gr Scenars for it.

Loaded (20) rounds of my best seating depth test with a few charge weights for the first twin. The combo of 130gr Bergers and Reloader 16 looks promising.

Latest posts

Top Bottom