What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you like those holes when finished drilling into wood?

Are they fuzzy at the top?
Are they flat on the bottom so the case does not wobble?

Were the bits the correct size or are the holes a bit on the almost too large side?

I have not tried those bits but I have reshaped regular steel drill bits and reshaped paddle bits.

I have changed the nose profile to get a flat hole and not a cupped up hole.
I also reduce the cutting diameter to make a nice fit of the case.

I found pine boards fuzz out a lot and Oak is better as is redwood.
I must clean some holes with a sanding roll.

What wood are you using?

That is why I am asking so many questions
If you put some masking tape over the surface you are drilling it'll help with the splintering. Won't totally eliminate it, but it'll help some. Mash it down good with a flat tool.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you collecting brass or reloading it? It would seem that a bucket or two would be adequate for a tremendous amount of reloading.. Considering that a 5 gallon bucket holds about 8000 empty 9mm cases. How many rounds do you shoot a year?
A bucket might last Professor a month. Maybe...

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you collecting brass or reloading it? It would seem that a bucket or two would be adequate for a tremendous amount of reloading.. Considering that a 5 gallon bucket holds about 8000 empty 9mm cases. How many rounds do you shoot a year?
Reloading it. I shoot about 45K-50K a year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloaded 250 10mm using blue bullets and some FMJ I found.
The 50 not in the photo are in a zip lock as I ran out of the correct ammo containers. They are all full of other calibers.
Need to get off the bench and shoot more.

D15EDB2F-B60C-4EE4-B31A-4EBDD3E8B808.jpeg

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, I don’t have a single stage to use them on, but why wouldn’t you use a router along the edge of each hole on a reloading block and chamfer away any splintered edges? Also the masking tape is a solid trick

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even after routering wood trim I go over it with sandpaper by hand.
I could not imagine trying to hold perfectly on a 1/2" diameter hole with a router and having 50 of those holes in a 5" x 8" block.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last week I finally got some .458 Lott dies, and found Varget on the shelf at a LGS. I know it's coming around but that's the first I've seen it. I grabbed one, will probably grab a few more this week if any is left.
I think here before the New Year I'm going to try to get some insulation up in the new room.

20221216_163938.jpg
20221216_163911.jpg
20221215_044037.jpg

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finished putting together a nib Dillon 650 that I won in an internet auction. With buyers premium and shipping it was delivered at $575 to my home. Powder measure, 45 acp dies all intact!

Had to buy a few minor parts, Dillon sent me brand new springs, smallwear parts etc! Princess bought me a casefeeder and Dillon CV-2001case cleaner for Christmas! This will be the lpp machine. The other 650 and 450 will take care of The rest.

Regards, and Merry Christmas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom