What do I do with a stray Black Lab?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hip, I think you did a good thing if the dog was wandering around on Sheridan Road. He could easily have become road kill, especially if the driver was on a cell phone :mad:

What's the latest on the dog? Did the vet find a chip?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a reason, A dang good reason. To start with the dog wandered across sheridan street during the 5:00 traffic, it was very dry and thirsty. I could go on but am gonna stop there before I start saying things I shouldn't.
I do have a heart when it comes to animals and I am not trying to be a hero.You should get ALL the details before you start posting comments.

Hipshot: I'd have done the same for a thirsty dog too. Good deed; good post; maybe his owner will locate him now, or failing that, he can get a good home.

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be of some use to contact the Heartland lab rescue (http://www.heartlandlabrescue.com/) if nothing further than to see if an owner may have contacted them. Having him scanned for a microchip is a good plan---but few owners who won't invest in a real collar with some identification will actually pay for a microchip. I've seen a few exclusions, but they are the exception and not the rule.

Oklahoma law, especially in Tulsa and Oklahoma City, states a loose dog to be a stray dog. If someone is not responsible enough to keep their pet 1) in their yard and 2) properly identified they're technically breaking the law. Especially if the pet does not have a current rabies tag on it.

I'd have done the same thing you did. Pull the guy in for a few days, see what you can find for him and go from there. Letting him roam "looking for a companion", especially if he's intact, isn't really a positive plan for the outlook on animal overpopulation. There are a few rescues locally that might not mind helping this fellow into a new home if his owners don't step forward soon. HLR is a good place to start. In the meanwhile, take a picture and put an ad on craigslist for a found dog. Petfinder is another good choice. If it comes down to it (and you can) offer to 'foster' this guy until a home can be found if a rescue will pay for vaccinations and neutering (if not already done).

If this fails, PM me and I'll see what other help I can provide you with. This would be an easier venture if you were more local to OKC. Good luck :)

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dog has found a good home in far south Tulsa with good people ( no chip implant) He is a good indoor dog except for his wagging tail knocking stuff over! But they said he would be inside at night anyway. good fence for when he is outside and all is good. Thanks for all the info.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dog has found a good home in far south Tulsa with good people ( no chip implant) He is a good indoor dog except for his wagging tail knocking stuff over! But they said he would be inside at night anyway. good fence for when he is outside and all is good. Thanks for all the info.

You did a good thing.

People....spend the $5 to buy a collar tag for your dogs. Your last name and phone number is all that is needed to get a lost pet home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom