what do I need to build an AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am getting A M64 underfolder parts kit, I am planning on buying a nice milled receiver but haven't found a good tutorial or instructions telling me what All i will need for this, If there is a bunch of specialty tools required I don't plan I buying them, who could build this for me at a reasonable cost?

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doing an AK is not like an AKM. There are different type of milled receivers that require screwing in and headspacing, some are screw in and then cross pin, etc. I know one of the big problems with the Russian screw in style is that to properly headspace the sights and gas block may not be centered. I don't think that the milled is that hard per say, just challenging.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy plates and weld them in.:musketeers: AK's are easy I have built my share of them. If I was going to build a milled AK I would definitely measure everything out and get it fitted then bevel the edges, weld the **** out of it, and shoot it. If you are worrying about reselling it then you should buy a complete gun, if you want a gun that you can take pride in building with basic hand tools then knock yourself out.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah but $500 for a milled receiver and then no telling how much to build it, man o man =[ i thought it was gonna be something i could slap together myself. thanks,

I believe it is 300 bucks for them to build it. Mike Friend is probably in the top 5 ak smiths in the country. He developed the first made in usa milled ak receiver. Ge also did the first few hundred of the new arsenal saiga conversions. BTW he is in wyandotte, Ok so no shipping required if your up for a little drive.

Tony at Tromix(broken Arrow) also a great smith but he mainly deals in saiga shotgun conversions. He is backlogged for eternity.

theakforum.net Is a great resource. Also look up moondoggys videos on youtube.

Turbothis from theakforum.net can reweld your milled kit if that is to much for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom