what do you know about this gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's about the most common nagant you can find. honestly, i'd probably save a few more bucks and get an enfield. the ammo is always cheap, the casings don't stick in the chamber like alot of the 7.62x54r ammo does, and it's a 20X better gun all around. i have about 10 rifles of varying ages and calibers, but that's by far my favorite to shoot. if you're dead set on getting the mosin nagant, i'd really try to talk him down a little. $150 seems a little steep for one of those.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$150 OTD is not a seriously high price for a clean, all-matching Mosin, especially if it's non-refurbed. You should always try to dicker him down a little, though. And, be sure to check out that bore.

If you like to shoot and make a lot of noise, an M44 is a hoot.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Internet prices for plain jane Mosins are still under $100.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1891_30_7.62x54R_Mosin_Nagant_Rifle.html

But factor in FFL transfer and shipping and your looking at $110 or so.

You can find them at bigger gun shows with kits ( oil can, sling, etc ) for about 120. For your more collectable variants they can go as high as $300, but you have to be a real Mosin historian to have any interest in those.

The M44 is the short carbine version of the gun, and they normally fetch about $10 to $20 more then their long barreled siblings.

150 sounds a little steep, but not outrageous.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
actually after the election the M38's and M44's dried up, century did have them for about $130 and thats wholesale price, so after shipping yeah i'd say $150 is a good deal, all you see on whosalers sites mostly are the 91-30's, they made alot more then the carbines

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you be against counterboring? All it does is improve the accuracy of the rifle.

I've had a few and neither one shot well, even though I'm very persistent with load development.

"Well" for me is sub 3" @ 100 yards with 10 shots. I do compete with MNs - therefore I might have a bit "higher" standard than most.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
150 is to much even if you were buying them from a dealer. Century arms has all of the variants in stock to include the m44. 60 to 80 bucks is a fair price for one. Anything more is dealer mark up with tax and shippin. Just because someone sells a 60 dollar gun for 150 doesnt make it worth it. Just like cars on the dealer lot. Once you drive it off the lot it losses value. Same with guns. All that mark up doesnt increase the value. The guy that pays 120 to 150 for a regular mossin still has a 60 to 80 dollar rifle. Hope this helps. If you do get it they are fun but be forwarned if you arent aware of them. When shot they will let you know that they are there. I dont mind the kick, im use to larger cal weapons but many compain about it.:gun2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom