What does Syria have to gain from attacking Turkey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been puzzled every since Syria lobbed the first bomb into Turkey. Why? What do they have to gain by this aggression? Is it Syrian rebels or is the Syrian government that crazy. Surely, Syria realizes that Turkey can bomb them into oblivion. They have been trading artillery for 4 days now and Panetta is warning that the clash may escalate.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever said the Syrians were rational?

Keep in mind that some Syrian rebels have been taking refuge inside Turkey. It's possible the Syrians were tracking rebels who fled back across the border after an engagement.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever said the Syrians were rational?

Keep in mind that some Syrian rebels have been taking refuge inside Turkey. It's possible the Syrians were tracking rebels who fled back across the border after an engagement.

Actually, that would make some sense. I think the FSA has sought refuge along the border in Turkey. The Syrian government may be trying to attack the FSA in Turkey.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been puzzled every since Syria lobbed the first bomb into Turkey. Why? What do they have to gain by this aggression? Is it Syrian rebels or is the Syrian government that crazy. Surely, Syria realizes that Turkey can bomb them into oblivion. They have been trading artillery for 4 days now and Panetta is warning that the clash may escalate.

Who's to say the first bomb was lobbed by Syria??? Wag the Dog...

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am amazed how easily we forget one of the reasons the first reasons we didnt remove Saddam in the first Gulf war.

Colin Powell said it would create a power vaccum in the middle east. He was correct.

Removing Saddam allowed Iran and Syria to become stronger and more influential. In just a few years the "power vaccum" resulted in the Arab Spring.

If and when Syria falls and if and when Iran falls, im thinking Turkey(a Nato Ally) and Saudi Arabia(U.S. Ally) will attempt to fill the "power vaccum".

As long as Israel remains on friendly terms with Turkey and Saudi Arabia, she should be "ok".

This scenario should be beneficial to the west, but might increase tensions and relationships with China and Russia.

**these are just my thoughts and speculations**

Latest posts

Top Bottom