What have you ALWAYS wanted to do for work, but now do something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing some studying tonight for my Special Ed certification exam, and it got me thinking about how much my life has really changed over the years. In regards to where I always thought I would be career wise; I am now on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from my original dreams!

I started going back to school in 2006 in the field of Criminal Justice Administration, I always dreamed of what I could do, and helping people in the justice field. I never wanted anything else since I was probably 8 years old. In 2010 I graduated with a B.S. in Criminal Justice Administration. before I graduated I had the opportunity to work for Oklahoma County Sherrifs Office as a Detention Officer. I did that for a year and then I got a job at Cleveland county sheriffs office as a Detention Deputy. The thing both of these jobs had in common is that I DESPISED them both from day one!

All of this was the start to what I refer to as my 40 years of wandering the desert, I left the sheriffs office and vowed I would never work any kind of law enforcement again. I jumped from job to job for a couple years and began to hit some real lows. I began to doubt any abilities I thought I had, any skills I felt I learned and then I began to even kick myself for the debt I got myself in with 4 years of student loans. I just felt like life had peaked and this was as good as it was going to ever be for me.

BUT ALAS, God has so many other plans for me. It took me totally giving up all the dreams I HAD FOR MYSELF and hitting bottom in the career aspect to truley give God control. That is when he began to move in my life, soon I took a crazy chance and decided to look into a program the State Department of Education has for individuals with a Bachelors Degree. With the degree and the a few other steps to meet I was accepted into the states Alternative Education Certification Program. This program allows people accepted to become certified teachers in the state if they pass the required tests and other steps that are required.

Over this last summer I decided to try to get on a school so I could at least be in the system when I finished the process. And again God gave me more than I could have ever hoped or asked for. I was offered a position at Moore Schools working in elementry as a 1 on 1 Special Education resource teacher. This is a non-certified position that doesnt pay as much, but allows me to work 1 on1 with Special Ed kids.

After all is said and done, I have finally figured out this is exactly what God has always wanted for me. So now all I have to do take my test for Mild to Moderate Disabilities on the 25th and then wait until the end of this school year and I will get my 1 year conditional teaching certification for Special Ed.

Sorry for the long winded story, but most happy endings always take a while to get to the end. LOL. So anyways I just wondered what others here have experienced in this type of area of life. What kind of job or career field did you always see yourself doing? and what are you doing now? ect.

Just want to hear any interesting stories! Thanks for sharing in advance....

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have entered a noble profession that many people are not capable of doing. Congrats on finding a rewarding career!

well, that's really whats' funny about it all. I truley believe that if anyone had tried to push me into this profession several years ago, I would have laughed in thier face. But I guess that is why the Good Book says pride comes before the fall. Anyways, I can honestly say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what I do and I know it is right for me!

In fact I always have to chuckle at work, sometimes the other teachers will ask me why I do other duties that I am not required to do (I am only required luch duty on M/W/F) because I greet the kids coming in the door in the morning and help tutor in the afternoons sometimes. I just smile and say "if you have been where I have been, you would understand how great this is".

I don't do anything just because I am paid to, sometimes we have to do things for these kids so they really understand we care about them!

Traveler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From second grade up through my sophomore year in college, I wanted to be a medical doctor. It seems that college chemistry had other plans for me!

While in college, however, I learned to walk with God, and HE changed my direction. I ended up a social worker for several years before heading overseas as a missionary for a decade. I now pastor a small church in Wagoner.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd really just like to do absolutely nothing, man. If there's a grant that will provide funding so that I can watch Tom and Jerry, eat Cap'n Crunch and hunt and fish a lot, please help me apply. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. As a kid I thought I wanted to work in a wildlife/forestry related field, namely game law enforcement, but later I realized there is no way in hell I'd want to do that. I'm a very indecisive person sometimes.

Another one that was always in the back of my mind was teaching. I don't think I'd mind teaching just about any type of history or English somewhere between 8th-12th grades. I'm a grey-collar dude in the oil & gas biz currently, and I'm still looking for ways to do absolutely nothing, but if I can't figure one out soon I may think more about a career change. I'm still young, and still indecisive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom