What have you done to prepare today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me likee ancient Soviet/Cold War primary/secondary/tertiary target list. Good find, BUT......

Clinton Sherman AFB - SAC B-52 base, 4123 StratWing/70thBW 57-69, Interim Dispersal site 2dBW Det3 through 75. Still used periodically for EX. 11K runway. Primary VVS DA/OTBAK and RVSN/RF target.

Altus AFB - SAC 96BW/11BW 53-69, 557SMS Atlas F ICBM 12 silos w/i 40 mi. radius 62-65, 340ARW (SAC) 77-92. Primary for each silo AND base as above.

Tinker AFB - SAC Interim Dispersal site, Depot Level MX site, OCAFS Long Range Air Defense Radar Site, SAGE MDC. Primary due to Air Defense/Dispersal/MX capabilities. OCAFS had OPCON of several major southern target Nike Hercules AADCP/IFC sites near Barksdale, Carswell, Dyess, and Bergstrom AFBs (all primary SAC bases and/or pop centers). Primary. AWACS/TACAMO mission would be justification today, but most current threats are not believed to posses capable nuclear delivery systems.

Vance AFB - ATC base. Not likely as primary, but 2 ea. 9200 foot runways and LOTS of replacement pilots.

Fort Sill - Likely a bomber target, but would interrupt COG/recovery operations. Artillery School WAS tactical nuclear capable during 50-70?

El Reno - Likely listed on Soviet maps as Fort Reno. US Army remount station deactivated in 1949. The Sovs were inclined to employ a total force response.

McAlester - MCAAP would be considered a tertiary target during a total force response. AFAIK, all conventional munitions, always.

Tulsa - pop center, COG site, transportation hub, marshalling yards, POL supply, communications hub. Worth a Bear strike?

Depending on prevailing wind patterns, 10 miles may be insufficient and remember the Sov doctrine did not obsolesce or deactivate older weapons systems. Why should they believe we removed the Atlas sites? Possibly still targeted.

It seems that we may have overreacted a bit to USSR capabilities during the Cold War, but I agree they still are the biggest nuclear threat to the US.

Weeeeeeelll, that was fun!:burnout:

BTW, I studied the current THREATCON and came up with this.:bighug:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious as to those that "prepare".... How physically fit are you? Are you mobile within your own weight?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious as to those that "prepare".... How physically fit are you? Are you mobile within your own weight?

That's the $64,000 question. Sadly, while I am still pretty strong, I am woefully out of shape and overweight. But............. I have lost 47 lbs since January. Getting fit is a priority for me. Don't like having to test my blood sugar, and sure as $%#@ don't want full blown diabetes.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the $64,000 question. Sadly, while I am still pretty strong, I am woefully out of shape and overweight. But............. I have lost 47 lbs since January. Getting fit is a priority for me. Don't like having to test my blood sugar, and sure as $%#@ don't want full blown diabetes.

All I'm trying to relay is that mindset and physical health are far more important than any "gear" I might need. I've just seen guys talk about how prepared they are with gear, food, and water when it looks like they're going to drop dead if they ran 100yds.

I mean seriously..... how do these people think they could survive when the Zombies come? :D

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I'm trying to relay is that mindset and physical health are far more important than any "gear" I might need. I've just seen guys talk about how prepared they are with gear, food, and water when it looks like they're going to drop dead if they ran 100yds.

I mean seriously..... how do these people think they could survive when the Zombies come? :D

You're absolutely right. Being fit is more important than just about anything if the SHTF.

Alternatively, you could practice your skills on your Hoveround.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
McAlester - MCAAP would be considered a tertiary target during a total force response. AFAIK, all conventional munitions, always.

USN Special weapons storage site located inside MCAAP. Supposedly empty yet site is still under heavy guard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom