What in the He!! is this world coming to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely correct!
You open the door with zero expectations of a thank you. Thus speaks chivalry.
However, if someone acknowledges your effort to be nice it'd be appreciated. It's not like you're asking them for their autograph. It's only courteous to be thanked, especially if it's a very hot day and you are standing outside holding the door for some frigate to pass.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a woman or man can't say Thank you when you hold the door open for them.They have no class and didn't deserve the kind gesture in the first place.I held the door open for a nice looking young woman one day with out a thank you from her but it was ok because she slipped on the ice and bounced pretty hard before a fed ex man hit her with his dolley.I told him Thank you.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I am a geezer and look it I have noticed more people being courteous when I am out and about. Holding the door, waiting for me to get across the drive in front of a store etc. I always say thank you or give a little wave. I have ran into very few jerks, guess not all is lost.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was working at the Cabelas gun counter and had an older man with his wife in a wheelchair to buy a gun. After deciding what to get he tried pushing a cart with one hand and pushing his wife with the other hand with great difficulties. I just had to say heck no, not on my watch. So I pushed the cart while he pushed his wife all the way out to their car. Made my feel good for the rest of the day. It's all about doing the right thing.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Figured I’d share a personal story along the same lines.

While my mother was battling her 2nd cancer, we spent a lot of time at MD Anderson in Houston. On one particular trip, she was having some tests done and I sat in the waiting room. At one point an older gentleman came and sat down near me - he was using a walker. I was barely paying attention, but I noticed he had dropped some paperwork as he was sitting down and was now attempting to retrieve it using the leg of his walker. I felt bad for not reacting sooner but quickly got up, picked up the opera and handed them to him - no big deal...that’s how I was raised. Not a single other person in the crowded room even looked up from what they were doing. He thanked me and noticed my team t-shirt and asked if I was a wrestler.
- I told him “a long time ago...I’m a coach now”.
- He told me “I knew some wrestlers back in the day and they were all tough as nails”.
- I replied “we try”
- he said “well you guys work hard...do things the rest of us can’t...always admired that”
- I said “yeah...you gotta love it - only way to get through it”
That was pretty much the end of the conversation. Soon after, his name was called and he got up. I turned and looked his way...just making sure he got up ok.
He turned to face me and said “I just wanted you to know that today you helped out a former recon marine.”
Didn’t know what to say.....I stood up, shook his hand.

I’m always amazed at how self absorbed people are becoming today.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then there is the woman that you hold the door open for at the store and she steams on through as if she is entitled without a word of gratitude and totally ignores you, the doorman.
You just described my wife. I don't even get the offer of a tip. :laugh6:
However, if a door is held for her by someone else, they get a thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom