What is going on with my barrel? Just fouling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
this is just an educated guess, but that crappy ammo was probably way undersized and/or way too soft an alloy and just smeared all the way down the barrel. id get some cheap metal cleaning picks from harbor freight, a good desk lamp, and start scraping. When you get a good amt of it out, switch to chunks of chore boy copper scrubbing pads , wrapped around an old bore brush and clean it like nuts I cant imagine how bad the leads of the rifling and chamber are

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this is just an educated guess, but that crappy ammo was probably way undersized and/or way too soft an alloy and just smeared all the way down the barrel. id get some cheap metal cleaning picks from harbor freight, a good desk lamp, and start scraping. When you get a good amt of it out, switch to chunks of chore boy copper scrubbing pads , wrapped around an old bore brush and clean it like nuts I cant imagine how bad the leads of the rifling and chamber are
It is only at the end half of the barrel I think.

Attachments

• IMG_5665.JPG
    IMG_5665.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 146

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'd do this ^^^^^ Make sure you get the Chore boy copper scrubbing pads. There are some imitations that are steel with a copper coating. DO NOT use these.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure looks like lead fouling. Did someone own this gun before you, and you didn't notice the fouling?
No Im the only one who has ever fired it. and I havent ever used anything besides copper jacketed bullets and steel cased ammo but its been months since I shot the steel cased ammo. I would have noticed it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are bullets/ammo out there that are lead with a very thin copper coating flashed on them. They aren't jacketed but look like they are. Berry's bullets are one.
I suspect you might have got some of that.
If the load is too hot, the lead can and will melt on ignition and coat your barrel. Since the tip of your barrel is cooler than the chamber end, the molten lead will be deposited there.
You would have to have a chrony to make sure, but Berry's does not recommend loading over 1000 fps.
You have classic leading of your barrel.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are bullets/ammo out there that are lead with a very thin copper coating flashed on them. They aren't jacketed but look like they are. Berry's bullets are one.
I suspect you might have got some of that.
If the load is too hot, the lead can and will melt on ignition and coat your barrel. Since the tip of your barrel is cooler than the chamber end, the molten lead will be deposited there.
You would have to have a chrony to make sure, but Berry's does not recommend loading over 1000 fps.
You have classic leading of your barrel.
I will say it was pretty smokey, I felt like I was shooting black powder.

Could a dirty fouled up gun cause smoke like that if it was fouled before? I am trying to eliminate the gun because the ammo company said they would refund me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dirty smoke is the powder.
I shoot matches most every weekend somewhere. Some guys pistols look like they are shooting a black powder muzzle loader. Fouling in this case has nothing to do with the powder used.

Latest posts

Top Bottom