What is inside your brick enclosed mailbox?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Yep, once delivery is established and route is measured the box can’t be moved unless for safety or some other legit reason. I once refused for a guy to put his box at the bottom of a blind hill. He went all the way to DC and my decision was upheld for safety reasons. He was killed as he turned into his drive by a guy speeding over the hill who didn’t see him in time to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we lived near Yukon about 20 years ago, we had a guy hit our brick mailbox and destroy it. He had recently been put on some medication and they hadn't got the dosage regulated yet. He hit our mailbox after leaving his sister's house on his way home. Part of the mailbox hung up on his car and stopped him a few blocks away. Seeing what it was, he walked to the 7/11 and called the police. They helped him out and came by to inspect the damage.

The guy's sister came by and gave us some money to get the mailbox fixed. The guy that did the new one put a lot of bricks inside the outside shell and stated that anyone hitting it in the future would do a lot of damage to their vehicle.

Sorry, but if someone loses control of their vehicle and destroys it on my mailbox, then they are the ones at fault.

(Of course, now I don't even have a mailbox, what with living in an RV. Our mail goes to a mail center.)

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Years ago my stepson got up one Sat morning and told me his car had been stolen. I called the police and a female officer came out. She asked him “are we doing the false reporting of a crime today or are you going to admit you wrapped your car around a brick mailbox a couple of blocks over”. He was such a genius he left his beer and his wallet on the front seat. Car was totaled and brick mailbox destroyed. Fortunately for him the owner let him work out the damages by mowing his yard the rest of the year.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, @pstmstr ! Not to hijack (but I will) - is there a given time by which mail carriers are to have all mail delivered/picked up? I have been told by two former postal workers (one a retired small town postmaster) that mail is to be delivered, and outgoing mail picked up, in time to make the last outgoing mail of the day for their given post office. Is that true?

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Hey, @pstmstr ! Not to hijack (but I will) - is there a given time by which mail carriers are to have all mail delivered/picked up? I have been told by two former postal workers (one a retired small town postmaster) that mail is to be delivered, and outgoing mail picked up, in time to make the last outgoing mail of the day for their given post office. Is that true?

That’s true. If not, any outgoing mail brought back is supposed to be taken to Tulsa or OKC mail processing center. However, I doubt it happens like that all the time. For example, if a carrier is running late and no assistance is available, they get done when they get done. All mail is supposed to be delivered daily. This happens most often with a new sub on the route, vehicle breakdown, or other screw up. I’ve been retired since 2011 so things may have changed.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s true. If not, any outgoing mail brought back is supposed to be taken to Tulsa or OKC mail processing center. However, I doubt it happens like that all the time. For example, if a carrier is running late and no assistance is available, they get done when they get done. All mail is supposed to be delivered daily. This happens most often with a new sub on the route, vehicle breakdown, or other screw up. I’ve been retired since 2011 so things may have changed.

Thank you, sir! I understand it during the holidays, breakdowns, running two routes because a carrier called in sick, etc. but we have this issue on a regular basis. Middle of summer, sometimes we don't get mail until 7:00PM. Last mail leaves the Enid MPO at 5:00pm. Our long time mail carrier retired about a year to eighteen months ago, and we've had this issue ever since.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, sir! I understand it during the holidays, breakdowns, running two routes because a carrier called in sick, etc. but we have this issue on a regular basis. Middle of summer, sometimes we don't get mail until 7:00PM. Last mail leaves the Enid MPO at 5:00pm. Our long time mail carrier retired about a year to eighteen months ago, and we've had this issue ever since.

Call the Post Office and ask to speak to the Postmaster. I’d be curious what they tell you. If the route is too long to be served in a timely manner by the carrier on it now they need to cut it and/or address their performance. Postmasters name used to be Jeff but that’s been a while. Delivery past 5 pm should be an exception and not the norm. My last job in the district every post office had to report how many carriers out past 5 the previous day and why to my office. It was usually less than 10 statewide.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call the Post Office and ask to speak to the Postmaster. I’d be curious what they tell you. If the route is too long to be served in a timely manner by the carrier on it now they need to cut it and/or address their performance. Postmasters name used to be Jeff but that’s been a while. Delivery past 5 pm should be an exception and not the norm. My last job in the district every post office had to report how many carriers out past 5 the previous day and why to my office. It was usually less than 10 statewide.

Thanks, again! I will. I really had no desire to get the carrier in trouble, but this is getting ridiculous.

Latest posts

Top Bottom