What is killing my chickens???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you are encountering could quite possibly be the handiwork of a juvenile rougaroo (I have witnessed many such encounters). I have been expecting more of them in our state since the borders are so lax.

Or, it could be feral politicians. They also can be a pain in the ass as you describe.

But, it is more than likely field rats.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some game cams can capture IR stills and video basically more $$ = more options. But you should be able to get something to meet your needs under $100.00

I am betting raccoon - those suckers can climb, manipulate levers, and generally frustrate efforts to capture them.

I've got a lot of Cabella points. I hate to use them, but it's obvious that I need at least one game cam, and it couldn't hurt to have several. As to what is doing this, I think there is more than one culprit. There is certainly a very large one.

Edit - Update: I am online looking at gamecams, no need to use Cabella points; they are very affordable.

Well, that's very thoughtful of you, trying to help those poor rats with their heart problems... ;)

Seriously, best of luck on getting rid of whatever it is.

Thanks, I think I'm doing about all that I can up to this point.

What you are encountering could quite possibly be the handiwork of a juvenile rougaroo (I have witnessed many such encounters). I have been expecting more of them in our state since the borders are so lax.

Or, it could be feral politicians. They also can be a pain in the ass as you describe.

But, it is more than likely field rats.

Lol. I am not discounting any possibilities.

Last edited:

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since there's no bite at the neck, my money is on possum (can we get a pool going?).

Since the predator is eating the guts out of the bird baiting the trap with a dead chicken may not catch your primary predator. After all, what the creature is going for on the bird is already gone.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it got to the bird without tripping the trigger, it sounds like a pretty big animal that's able to reach over the obstacle and pick up the bird in it's mouth. Coyote-sized, maybe?

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet it's a person... The signs are there, they can move a big cinder block, they can take the chicken out of a trap with out setting it off, and they are smart....

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since there's no bite at the neck, my money is on possum (can we get a pool going?).

Since the predator is eating the guts out of the bird baiting the trap with a dead chicken may not catch your primary predator. After all, what the creature is going for on the bird is already gone.

It is big. Whatever moved the cinder block is the same thing that lifted the chicken carcass from the cage without tripping the pan. But I don't think that is the particular predator that is eating out their guts. I think there are several guilty parties involved.

If it got to the bird without tripping the trigger, it sounds like a pretty big animal that's able to reach over the obstacle and pick up the bird in it's mouth. Coyote-sized, maybe?

Truly, I don't know what it is. My chicken yard is huge - about half an acre. And it is fenced in with chicken wire. If it is a canine, it comes at night and not in the day. I will check for a breach in the wire in a few minutes. It could be a coyote. I am going to catch this thing.

I bet it's a person... The signs are there, they can move a big cinder block, they can take the chicken out of a trap with out setting it off, and they are smart....

No, I doubt that. These birds have their rectums eaten out and all of the intestines are gone. Plus, the thighs are denuded of flesh to a large extent. The upper part of the body - to include the head and neck don't reflect any sign of trauma. But what robbed the trap last night carried off the carcass, leaving no trace. There are several predators involved, I believe.

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I ordered a gamecam just now. I spent more than I wanted to, but it has 27 good reviews. I ordered it from Cabela's and earned some more points. I will catch this thing or things before the gamecam arrives.

i.imgur.com_ZSBR0CG.png_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.png

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When it comes to chicken, I've been known to be ravenous, but I have yet to eat the ass end out of a live chicken. Just sayin'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom