What is killing my chickens???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a real smelly bait, you will draw in critters from all over. You don't want several coming in. You catch one in trap and the rest hassle your chickens all night.
Baiting with the carcass is good, but jab a rebar fence post through the trap, carcass and then into ground so something has to work at it to get it out and can't grab it and run. Most likely to catch the varmint doing this than everything that smells an oily fish smell.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Like bassin said, stake down the carcass in the back of the trap. Otherwise, set a steel trap in font of the trap door. A trap wise coon or coyote won't expect it......which is what is reaching across, one of the two.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would guess a raccoon, you'll hardly get a coyote to into a livetrap, especially if it's not starving and if it had just ate the ass out of that bird then it couldn't be that hungry. I have caught coons eating the ass out of beavers(....too easy) that I caught in foothold traps on more than one occasion. My guess would be coon, I would think if it was a skunk you would catch at least a faint whiff of it. If it is a coon or a grinner and you're nearby, I will take it off your hands for you. I need to do a little training with my terriers and haven't had a chance to set any live traps lately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom