What is killing my chickens???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had chickens get killed by other chickens that peck their ass end out. I've heard a red light can help, it worked for me.
When I first got chickens, something got into my pen, I think it was a skunk. All the chickens had their heads chewed off. I'm guessing the critter wanted the blood. It didn't take long and I got a great pyr to watch the barn and ran my shepx. loose on the property to help chase od predators.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got one. Pics to follow in a few minutes. Better pics in the morning. But this could not be what lifted the carcass and carried it out without setting off the pan trigger. There are bigger fish to fry in this trapping odyssey. Coyotes carrying on close by. Lots and lots of them.

Edit: photo addition

i.imgur.com_NbivWHD.jpg

i.imgur.com_wxLyotP.jpg

Last edited:

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mom went on a "save the chicken crusade" this summer. Kept having a dead half eaten chicken every other night or so. She locked that place down like a bank vault, yet still found dead chickens inside.

I went to help her thought we would just hang out in the truck and watch during the night (I dont sleep much so why not) About 3 am I hear a fight going on in the chicken house and feel bad that I let the critter get by. We open the door and find a dead bird, but no offender. I start in with Mom about chicken eating ghosts and what not. We close the door and sat on the feed bags that are in a fenced area inside the large coop.

Well low and behold a big possum came down out of the rafters, seems like when Mom went all Fort Knox she locked him inside. Oops. He was removed with prejudice.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Stevens Favorite that has an extreme prejudice against possums, and I've used it to dispatch quite a few of them. The only problem is nothing will eat possums, they just sit up there inside the treeline 'til the bugs and bacteria finish their work...ugh.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Stevens Favorite that has an extreme prejudice against possums, and I've used it to dispatch quite a few of them. The only problem is nothing will eat possums, they just sit up there inside the treeline 'til the bugs and bacteria finish their work...ugh.

I have become an expert at picking up dead possums with a pitchfork while going full speed on my riding mower. I just pretend I am a knight jousting. :) They get a ride to the back of the pasture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom