What is the biggest, scariest, crappiest gun you know someone has carried???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking to someone tonight and it got me thinking about this. What is the biggest pile of crap gun you have ever known someone to carry, either from firsthand account or from a story told?

My story is a good friend of mine from college, during class one night we were talking about guns and shooting and he said he wanted to go shooting with me. About a week later we hit the range and I pulled out my Glock 19, Ruger P97, and Smith&Wesson 22A, and my Mossberg Mav 12gauge. He pulls a Hi-Point 9mm pistol and 2 mags and ammo out of his bag. I was actually kind of excited to shoot it because I wanted to see if it was the turd everyone had told me it was. After shooting for about 45 minutes I will say his gun never malfunctioned and it was fairly accurate. But what made me laugh was when we went out for a coke, he said my Glock was a pile of steamy crap and his Hi-Point could out shoot mine. I laughed so loud people turned and looked at me, I just smiled and said what's your bet? so we go back in and shoot a 50 round test shoot, yeah, lets just say his boat anchor is O.K. for throwing rounds down range, but it ain't a Glock!!!!!!!

When we left I told him it's an o.k gun, but at least you don't carry it! He looked at me and said "Yes I do". I just said I will see you back at school. I had no problem with him having a cheap gun for fun, but he made good money at his job and had the money to buy a good carry gun, but he was notoriously cheap and wouldn't spend the money!

(And don't get me wrong, I will take a POC Lorcin/ Raven/ Rohm/ RG/ Hi-Point over a sharp stick in an emergency) and I respect that there are people who can't afford $1,200 super 1911 pistols or even $300 Rugers, and I am glad they have options out there.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well i had prob same gun(hi point) that i took out of town with me before i shot pistols it never dawned on me i should be practicing with a defensive gun i did not carry it but i toook it all over the country with me to some pretty rough parts of town. when i finally took this gun to a range and found out that i might have been able to win a knife fight with this gun i was a little sick

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well i had prob same gun(hi point) that i took out of town with me before i shot pistols it never dawned on me i should be practicing with a defensive gun i did not carry it but i toook it all over the country with me to some pretty rough parts of town. when i finally took this gun to a range and found out that i might have been able to win a knife fight with this gun i was a little sick

Yeah I hear you, I can honestly say the only gun I trust fully out of the box reliable is a Glock pistol. (as long as it is a Gen 1-2-3) The Gen 4 models I shy away from even now.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
(And don't get me wrong, I will take a POC Lorcin/ Raven/ Rohm/ RG/ Hi-Point over a sharp stick in an emergency) and I respect that there are people who can't afford $1,200 super 1911 pistols or even $300 Rugers, and I am glad they have options out there.

I'm not so sure.If it was a real good sharp stick,I'd take it.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not so sure.If it was a real good sharp stick,I'd take it.

This. I'd probably rank them Hi Point, sharp stick, then the other junk.

The biggest, crappiest I know of is probably my very own Rossi 3" .357 revolver. It's crude but dead nuts reliable. The only real problem is when shutting the real deal full house loads (like Hornady stuff), the brass has to be pushed out with a dowel; it's popped tight enough that the extractor won't do the trick. But the accuracy is fine (for a 3" fixed sight revolver) and timing and lockup certainly acceptable.

It's my beater for the rare times when I feel the urge for more than my .380, since I don't like to carry the Colt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom