What is the "Santa Fe, NM" equivalent in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Santa Fe NM has been known for a very long time as a sort of artist/spiritual/hippie type of city in a state that is otherwise largely ignored by most people. Many famous celebrities have getaway homes there and will often escape to Santa Fe when they need a break from Hollywood.

Does OK have an equivalent place yet? I'm not talking about Hollywood celebs wanting to move here, but the whole spiritual/getaway vibe.

A few years ago it seemed like Medicine Park was building such a reputation but I haven't heard much lately. I do know properties there are quite expensive nowadays and the old stone buildings have all become historical landmark type places.

Also in SE OK near Talihina there seems to be a lot of high end "getaway" type properties popping up charging quite a lot of money per night. This is strange to me because I've always heard that SE OK has a bit of Deliverance type reputation and you should not go there unless you know how to deal with the locals.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i would def say medicine park is becoming the closest thing we've got. in fact, i've thought many times about packing up and heading back to my old stomping grounds and establishing my business there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Santa Fe NM has been known for a very long time as a sort of artist/spiritual/hippie type of city in a state that is otherwise largely ignored by most people. Many famous celebrities have getaway homes there and will often escape to Santa Fe when they need a break from Hollywood.

Does OK have an equivalent place yet? I'm not talking about Hollywood celebs wanting to move here, but the whole spiritual/getaway vibe.

A few years ago it seemed like Medicine Park was building such a reputation but I haven't heard much lately. I do know properties there are quite expensive nowadays and the old stone buildings have all become historical landmark type places.

Also in SE OK near Talihina there seems to be a lot of high end "getaway" type properties popping up charging quite a lot of money per night. This is strange to me because I've always heard that SE OK has a bit of Deliverance type reputation and you should not go there unless you know how to deal with the locals.
SE Oklahoma is owned by Texans now. They cannot afford land to hunt/fish on in Tx so they come to Ok and buy a quarter section for the price of a trophy deer hunt in Tx and they can hunt it from now on.
I have a friend in SE Ok that is a realtor part time so I'm not talking without some prior knowledge.
We have spent some time in Santa Fe and have some friends we RV with that live there.
It is a place with an artist/spiritual vibe along with liquor stores that stock the most expensive tequila I've ever seen.
Wife and I were walking the plaza one day when she spotted some Navajo jewelry makers displaying their wares on the sidewalk.
Found one necklace she thought had her name on it. When asking the price, the lady said $2500.
Wife quietly put it back down and told her thank you for letting her look at it and we left. The seller must have thought we were some of the big wigs the OP in this thread was thinking about.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Medicine Park was heading that direction, but it’s no longer that way. The town used to be full of artists with more than one art gallery and many talented musicians. When the real estate prices went through the roof, the artists left town. It is now more of a mountain bike destination. The majority of the expensive real estate is owned by folks out of the DFW area that have them as second homes. The vibe in the town has drastically changed over the last twenty years or so.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SE Oklahoma is owned by Texans now. They cannot afford land to hunt/fish on in Tx so they come to Ok and buy a quarter section for the price of a trophy deer hunt in Tx and they can hunt it from now on.
I have a friend in SE Ok that is a realtor part time so I'm not talking without some prior knowledge.
We have spent some time in Santa Fe and have some friends we RV with that live there.
It is a place with an artist/spiritual vibe along with liquor stores that stock the most expensive tequila I've ever seen.
Wife and I were walking the plaza one day when she spotted some Navajo jewelry makers displaying their wares on the sidewalk.
Found one necklace she thought had her name on it. When asking the price, the lady said $2500.
Wife quietly put it back down and told her thank you for letting her look at it and we left. The seller must have thought we were some of the big wigs the OP in this thread was thinking about.
BTDT like your wife’s experience on the Plaza - nice to look at & nice to hold just don’t consider it sold. Still enjoy SF for lots of reasons, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom