What is this and why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ran across this today. SW model 66 removed the grips and found this.
Any ideas on what it is or why it is.
image000000 (1).jpg

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magna trigger safety modification. It was supposed to make the gun inoperable if you weren't wearing the magnetic safety ring on your finger.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magna trigger safety modification. It was supposed to make the gun inoperable if you weren't wearing the magnetic safety ring on your finger.
I've had responses on the S&W forum stating the same. This one has apparently been disabled since it fully functions without a ring. It's a Cobb County Sheriff Dept stamped gun so the safety/LE thing makes sense.
Thanks for the info

Last edited:

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure how its disabled but it's always pulled thru in single and double action. Gun shoots just fine
and has as long as i've owned it. If you know of a Smith gunsmith I'd be interested in having it put back
to original condition.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It can be easily disabled….
The frame is cut for the modification so it can’t be put in “original configuration” as in an original gun without the ring safety.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It can be easily disabled….
The frame is cut for the modification so it can’t be put in “original configuration” as in an original gun without the ring safety.

I had one that was put back without the lock mechanism. A machinist made a replacement piece that took the place of the lock. I wished I would have gotten the actual locking mechanism with it. I did get a ring with it. Thought it odd when I found the ring in the box and then remembered the locking mechanism. And when I took the grips off I seen where someone put it back to a solid piece.

Last edited:

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a device like that on a buddy’s revolver a few years back. But his had this big chunk of metal on the underside of the grip that was incredibly loose. Like a an aluminum finger grove. It was weird

Latest posts

Top Bottom