What kind of generator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncarper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 5kw gen that I'm going to convert to propane; I live in the sticks and have a large propane tank. What I've found is that one can expect a 3kw gen to run for approx 9hrs at 50% load on a 20lb tank. This being the case, a 100lb tank should keep the gen running for 45 hrs - this would probably work for most common power outages. If you can't get/install a large tank, I'd plan on several 100# tanks - it's better than gas, and better than being in the dark.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
best genset for extended runs is ... littlest as possible.

Honda EU2000i is the ticket. by carefully plugging in one freezer at a time. manged to get EU2000 to support one full size frig and 3 freezers. all at same time.

I've got two EU2000 with parallel kit, but have never needed to use both yet. got a 8hp diesel that I'm setting up for extended runs.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am leaning towards the Hondas. Wish that I had bought one when Sportsman's Warehouse was still open. I like the propane conversion idea. Any other brands as reliable as the Hondas?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Honda EU2000i is the ticket. by carefully plugging in one freezer at a time. manged to get EU2000 to support one full size frig and 3 freezers. all at same time.

I've got two EU2000 with parallel kit, but have never needed to use both yet. got a 8hp diesel that I'm setting up for extended runs.
Do you think one of the generators would start and run a side by side refrigerator? say a 25cubic model?

I have a B&G inverter generaotr, 1600watts continuous and 2000 watts peak but I'm not sure if it would start that side by side.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think one of the generators would start and run a side by side refrigerator? say a 25cubic model?

I have a B&G inverter generaotr, 1600watts continuous and 2000 watts peak but I'm not sure if it would start that side by side.

can comment about other genset, but the little EU2000i managed to run one 26 CF refrigerator, two full size freezers and one small freezer ... all at the same time.

trick is to plug ONE appliance in at a time. startup takes the most amp, then goes way down for running.

IMHO most folks run way too large gensets. all it does is sucks down too much gas .. lesson learned during last bad ice storm in Tulsa. when we lost our power for 2 1/2 weeks.... gas stations were hard to find working... they didn't have power either.

what got used the most was a Yamaha 1,000 watt genset. followed by a Honda 2500. this was before EU2000i came out. both would run all day and night on very little fuel.

now I've got 10-15 gallons on hand at any given time. then use gas up on rotation to keep fresh.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am leaning towards the Hondas. Wish that I had bought one when Sportsman's Warehouse was still open. I like the propane conversion idea. Any other brands as reliable as the Hondas?
The Yamaha inverter generators are rated by most of the RV people to be as good or better than the Honda. I bought a 4KW inverter generator from Amazon. I have tested it, but have not needed it yet.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
can't comment about newest Yamaha genset... but my Yamaha 1,000 has always been fiddly. sometime deciding not to run at all. then runs fine???

vs Honda EU2000i has been trouble-free, sometime taking extra pulls to start after sitting for 6 months+. but the little Honda always starts and runs great.

my larger Honda powered 6500 construction genset always starts .. it's not come out for 2-3 years now... betcha it starts right up. probably should be selling it to free up room in my shed.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Lots of good advice in the thread but CY probably has the best advice IMO. Search craigslist for newer used ones as sometimes they can be had a cheap, for the make/model. Usually cam find them in great used condition for $600-$700. As stated, very quiet and sips the gas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom