What sound do you make?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm stalking through the woods this morning hunting for deer when I hear a strange animal sound that I can't identify (I'm new to hunting). Not knowing what it was had the effect of turning me around and going a different way.

I got back later and looked up some different animal sounds and it sounded just like an elk bugle down to the grunting sounds after the high pitch bugle.

The problem is that I don't think there are elk where I'm hunting (near Ft Worth, TX).

My question is, if you are out hunting and another hunter is coming up on you, what sound, if any, do you make? Do any of you make an elk bugle sound?

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where were you hunting? There are elk in OK, so it's not entirely impossible that you actually heard an elk.

Edited to answer your question. I will say something so they know it is a person and not an animal. I don't need anyone scoping me or worse.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm in a tree stand and somebody walks by, I'll give a bob white whistle.
It will certainly stop them and they will be looking around. With another they will see me in the tree, and move away, knowing I'm in the area. This sound will not alert other game.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm on public land I'll start with a high pitch whistle then say something if they don't respond. On private land, the guys I hunt with know that the bob white whistle is a greeting and a hi low hi low whistle return is a response. .

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I yell "Hey ___hole! I'm here, don't shoot!" or some such phrase. I haven't hunted on public land in a long time, so there may be other better choices of words available that have come out since then . . . CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom