What things should I practice and who to get training from?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've been going to the range here weekly except for this month as I'm moving apartments, but I've not really done much in the way of practicing for a time when I'll truly need to use lethal force in defense. Mostly just casual shooting and the like. So, does anybody have some ideas on things I should really be practicing and what kind of instructor led training I should get?

One thing I've been doing is practicing reloading but I only have two mags for my future primary edc. I've actually gotten pretty good at reloading my SW 637 with a couple speed strips and pair of speed loaders

. I'd like to stay local in OK since it's hard for me to get days off, but wanna try a big name instructor eventually. I've read a lot about Rob Pincus and he seems like he knows his stuff. Also James Yeager is someone I've watched on YouTube since my grandad kept talking about him. Laugh all you want lol.:madbox:

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, one thing I need to work on is just plain gun handling. I'm pretty clumsy with em I think. Saw an officer at the range practicing what looked like fist fighting distance shooting. He actually punched the target and shot it from real close to his waist! I think it was supposed to be an entanglement or something.

Stuff like that seems like it would be good to know on top of simple marksmanship. Basically I wanna know what things would be good to learn for a real life defense fight, stuff that's not necessarily in the tacticool zone.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H&H has some good classes that take place on weekends.

I suggest trying at least one advanced pistol course somewhere; if you've never had good training you'll be surprised how much you don't know. You'll probably come out a better shooter.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try some competition shooting. Look for a local USPSSA/IDP or steel challenge match. You generally don't have to be a member of anything and they're cheaper than a class. I'm not saying they're a substitute for a good class but you WILL learn a great deal of things. I certainly did; things like:

1. I'm not as good a shot while I'm running around and wheezing. Standing still is easier.
2. My $1k 1911 was a jam-o-matic in my hands while under stress.
3. You can never have too many magazines.
4. I can't shoot weak handed to save my life.
5. If I'm on a timer, hostages better have a last will and testament prepared.

However, it's a TON of fun, and you get to practice hot reloads, shooting while moving and shooting from behind and around barriers. You know, things that get you kicked off of most ranges!

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend taking a few classes with Oklahoma Shooting Skills. Will Andrews is the instructor and the classes are on Sunday evening at H&H. 2 magazines are enough to get you through the first class, Pistol Skills 2. 3 would be better for the rest of the classes. I feel his classes are one of the best values in Oklahoma. There is also a deep discount for retaking a class.
I would recommend taking a few of these to get more comfortable with firearms before taking a more advanced 1 or 2 day course. Most people are overwhelmed enough by their first 4 hour class they cannot absorb it all.

http://pistolskills.com is his website.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start by asking yourself what exactly are you training for?! Too many people waste time training for things that they are almost never likely to face having never done an honest self and threat assessment. Many more will waste $$$$$ on gear believing it will fill in for their inadequacies, mainly lack of knowledge and training that is for there needs not an "operator". Practically everyone does nothing for physical conditioning. Your metal, physical, and spiritual fitness will directly correlate to your surviving a lethal threat.

And don't forget medical. Sucks to die from loss of blood when you don't have to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom