what to expect at an wanenmacher gun show?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back, myself. Here are some prices I wrote down at one of the ammo vendors (Shooter Surplus Ammo): PMC .223 55gr FMJ, 1000/$369.95; Wolf .308 Military Classic 168 gr FMJ, 500/$225; Lake City .308 147 gr FMJ, 1000/689.95; WPA Polyformance and Brown Bear 7.62x39 123 gr FMJ, $5.50 / 20 (no prices posted per 1000 when I checked yesterday); Bulgarian 7.62x54R Light Ball 147 gr FMJ, 400/$94.95; Blazer Brass .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ, 1000/$389.95; and BB 9mm 115gr FMJ, 1000/$224.95.

The crowds were light to moderate this morning till about 11 when it got crowded, and attendance tapered off starting around 2 PM and was pretty light when I left around 3:30 PM. I did a trade and ended up with a NIB Sig P220 package, but I don't know if I'll keep it as I've never tried a Sig and find it different than the 1911's I'm used to.

All in all, it wasn't bad for Saturday. No panicked crowds around the ammo or AR vendors, that's for sure. There were folks buying ammo, but no one standing three or four deep at those tables. Heck, the fellows at 2A thought their sales, when I asked, were a bit down from the spring show. Where's the Obama scare??

I didnt notice a scare but did get a thousand offers for my AK.. I dont even know why i brought it, I dont know what id do without it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some price-hiking, but not too bad really. Found the Fat Boys, they were up in the NW corner. I totally didn't know they had a shop in Bixby, I'll be stopping by there now that I do.

I found a flier with table-locations (I didn't think they gave those out in the past - or I just didn't know where to look). It's 2012, they really need to put all that info online or put out an iPhone/Android app. That would make things pretty easy.

Bought another Benchmade BoneCollector from Sooner State Knives in Walnut and some Walther PPS mags and got the wife a chair massage while I looked around for a bit (pretty cool idea to have that there I thought).

It was weird to go to one of these without any real need to buy anything. It's kind of a different experience when you're not under pressure to scout the whole show as quickly as you can for those few things you really need.

Not too many decent flashlights, but a few vendors with knives. I got to fondle a Bob Dozier folder and found out that they're not as expensive as I thought they were (retail was well over $600 on the model I fondled - actual price was over $100 cheaper).

Saw some SD ammo that was reasonable for right after an Obama election, but I wasn't really looking too hard at bulk stuff. AKs were a little high, but everybody and their cat has an AR now, so they were all fairly reasonably priced. I saw a few wheel guns that I'd like to own, but they were a touch high for my tastes (as were a few of the 1911s).

Cutting Edge Knife Company had the exact same Microtech Zombie Tech knife I ordered (that still hasn't showed up yet) and I almost caved in and bought it.

Saw a few folks I haven't seen in a while, but all in all, I didn't see too many OSA'ers that I historically run into at the big W.

Lots of motorized carts and I did notice that the smells were pretty bad in several places. My biggest problem with these shows are the people that just sort of wander out in front of traffic and stop while either on their phone or just contemplating life.

One thing that is getting more annoying are these guys walking around with massive tactical backpacks. I understand the need to bring a pack but if you've got one on, then you need to be conscious of your surroundings.

I got bumped with one more than a few times and when you say "excuse me" and someone moves over, but leaves their massive backpack sticking out in the aisle while they're busy picking their nose and shutting down traffic, it doesn't do very much good.

All in all, at $10 it was the best gunshow I've been to in a year (still haven't made it to SuperDaves yet) and no bait-switch price-gouging made it a lot nicer.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but everybody and their cat has an AR now, so they were all fairly reasonably priced....

All in all, at $10 it was the best gunshow I've been to in a year (still haven't made it to SuperDaves yet) and no bait-switch price-gouging made it a lot nicer.

I did notice not many AR's were moving off tables, and Model One still had most of their uppers for sale when I checked with them during the early afternoon. Not many customers thronging their tables, at all.

I thought it was a decent show for Wanenmacher - not the best, but certainly nowhere near as bad as the fall show in 2008.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went early this morning, went and finally bought a Coye, then picked up some Lancer mags. ARs weren't as bad as I thought they'd be but I did see several overpriced lowers.... like 250+ for a stripped DPMS.... and $225 for BCGs. Was gone by 10 so the crowds were light and the scooters weren't as bad. I'd wager theres some deals to be had tomorrow, didn't see much moving.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back, boy what a long day. Started right at 8 am and took 2 cousins that had never been to gunshow. They were awe struck to say the least. I sold a shotgun right off the bat and then by noon had cherry picked a 20 g wingmaster for $210. All in all one the better times that I've been there. Guns were a little pricey but everyone I talked to was willing to bargin. I didn't think ammo was to bad either, found some nice reloads 38s for 12.00/ 50.

Latest posts

Top Bottom