What would you do with this .38 Special ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have this .38 Special ammo that was given to me, third hand, loose in bags. I'm guessing it is all reloads so I never shot any of it up.

I no longer have a .38/.357 so I'm thinking of selling it for components as is or breaking it down first.

What do you think?

20210525_225748_HDR.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what you're comfortable with doing. With some of us around here, you could be pretty safe in selling it to them as-is with the knowledge that it's an unknown quantity and probably not safe to use other than as components.

And some of us need to be kept away from sharp objects.

Personally, I think I'd just be selective about the buyer and sell it as-is to someone who can make use of the components.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what you're comfortable with doing. With some of us around here, you could be pretty safe in selling it to them as-is with the knowledge that it's an unknown quantity and probably not safe to use other than as components.

...And MOST of us need to be kept away from sharp objects.

Ya think?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

And some of us need to be kept away from sharp objects.

Personally, I think I'd just be selective about the buyer and sell it as-is to someone who can make use of the components.
What is a fair price per round as it is?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is a fair price per round as it is?
The brass, primers, and projectiles are probably OK, it's just the powder charge that's questionable. I haven't priced any components recently, so I couldn't hazard a guess as to actual dollars and cents, but if you can find prices on primed brass and plain lead bullets, a lower-end combination of those two unit prices sounds fair per round. It looks like most of the brass is nickel plated, so it's probably worth a little more than bottom dollar. @RickN or @mouthpiece might have a better idea what the brass is worth seeing as how they've been known to deal in used brass.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The brass, primers, and projectiles are probably OK, it's just the powder charge that's questionable. I haven't priced any components recently, so I couldn't hazard a guess as to actual dollars and cents, but if you can find prices on primed brass and plain lead bullets, a lower-end combination of those two unit prices sounds fair per round. It looks like most of the brass is nickel plated, so it's probably worth a little more than bottom dollar. @RickN or @mouthpiece might have a better idea what the brass is worth seeing as how they've been known to deal in used brass.

I have been out of it for awhile and have no idea on prices lately. To tell the truth I would be leery of selling it unless you were sure it was going to be broken down. Gone thru to many hands.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bet you could get 4¢-8¢ each on the brass
I've been keeping my 38 cases so I haven't been watching the market on 38spl

If that was my ammo, I'd either brake it down for primed brass and the bullets or shoot it.
I've been looking for Some wadcutter bullets to try Reloading but they must be a thing of the past

Latest posts

Top Bottom