What would you guys have done to get this buck to come in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay so Saturday morning I am hunting and about 8:20 I see a nice mature buck about 80 yards out. through some pretty thick woods do i could only see him for moments in between tree's. the wind was from the south of me. which is behind me in this stand. he came from the north to the south but about 80 yards west of me.

I Grunted and he Kept walking. So I grunted louder. this time he stopped and through his head up. so I waited and watched. he finally continued on his path, So I grunted again. This time he looked up and snorted my direction. So I snorted back at him. then he snorted right back. i returned the snort 4 or 5 times then I gave him a snort wheeze. he Just snorted again. I figured I was about to lose him so I tried to rattle out of despiration to try and bring him in. No go he just continued on his way.

A little while later 3 does came through being chased by a young 4 point. I grunted at him and within 5 minutes he had semi circled around and was right under my tree. I told him to go get his dad and come back but he didn't listen.

What would you guys have tried to get that mature buck to come in? Is there something I didn't think of?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes you just can't get them to do what you want. Sounds like you threw every trick in the book at him and he had other things on his mind. Being that they are thinking about tail right now, I probably would have given him a doe bleat. I always carry a bleat can in my bag of tricks. Right now I would think would be a good time to use a little doe piss. If they're not chasin a doe, they've got their noses to the ground looking for one. I think the does are starting to become receptive, so that smell would not be out of the ordinary and what they are looking for.

Friday night I was in the stand and had two bucks at my feet. SOB neighbor put a stand right ON the fencline between me and him (on the trail that leads to my foodplot, knowing that I had put in a food plot and feeder) and wasn't more than a hundred yards from me. I could hear him sittin there with his stupid rattlin bag all night. I got to witness other bucks' reaction to the rattlin. They totally ignored it.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
r00s is right. Sometimes you just can't get them to come in but if he was snorting, he may have seen you or smelled something he didn't like. Usually making deer noise does not spook them though, but like he said, they will just ignore it.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go knock his stand over after he left. LOL Not really but that would hack me off.

Don't think I hadn't thought about it!!! I ain't gonna touch his stand though. Legally he's not doing anything wrong. Nor am I when I go sit at the fenceline opening morning and start taking up smoking, maybe run the chainsaw a bit, weedeat the fencerow...

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't think I hadn't thought about it!!! I ain't gonna touch his stand though. Legally he's not doing anything wrong. Nor am I when I go sit at the fenceline opening morning and start taking up smoking, maybe run the chainsaw a bit, weedeat the fencerow...

Please do this, and take pictures!!

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not much you can do. He knew where he wanted to go and that's where he was going. Sounds like you're in the right area. If it happens again I would just adjust the stand.

LOL I already went and bought another hang on stang. I got a kong HX at bass pro for $84 and it seems to be a really nice stand. The one I am hunting is an old crappy home made ladder stand that is not tall enough and sticks out like a sore thumb. I am trying to figure out when to go hang this new stand to hunt out of this weekend. Thing is its dark by the time I get off work now. =[

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL I already went and bought another hang on stang. I got a kong HX at bass pro for $84 and it seems to be a really nice stand. The one I am hunting is an old crappy home made ladder stand that is not tall enough and sticks out like a sore thumb. I am trying to figure out when to go hang this new stand to hunt out of this weekend. Thing is its dark by the time I get off work now. =[

I've hung more than one stand in the dark. Just make sure someone is there to help, or at least knows where you are and when you'll be back and use that saftey harness that came with it when hanging it. You're shooting lanes won't be perfect, but it will be a start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom