Whatcha think of the PPK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not asking about the .380 cartridge, just about the PPK specifically. Good for concealed carry? Reliable? Anyone here use it as a primary?

Is the S&W version okay?

I'm thinking about it for my twenty something step-daughter. She is not really a gun person, but I will make sure she becomes competent with it. She is average height, but rather slim.

I know there are lots of other possibilties, but at this point just the PPK, okay?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the PPK is a bit large and heavy for the cartridge it shoots. That size gun could be a 9mm; the .380 is available in a much smaller and easier to conceal package.

The weight does not help with recoil either, since the PPK is a straight blowback action pistol. In that size and price range, I would recommend a Kahr CW9 or Walther PPS for a slim single stack. For a .380, a LCP, TCP, p238, or Keltec would be more easily concealable and this more likely to go where your daughter goes.

This chart should help demonstrate the relative size of weapons compared to one another; however it is no replacement to actually handling them:

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the PPK is a bit large and heavy for the cartridge it shoots. That size gun could be a 9mm; the .380 is available is a much smaller and easier to conceal package.

This.

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Test it thoroughly with whatever carry ammunition and magazines will be used. There seem to be as many people claiming theirs runs without a hiccup, as people complaining of of receiving a lemon.

If it hasn't been purchased yet, and there is still time to re-consider, the Sig p230 is a similar size package that has much better reliability reports. There are smaller and lighter .380 pistols, like the kel-tec and Ruger.

If you are just absolutely in love with the PPK look, and want something reliable without shelling out for a real Walther import, the Polish p64 in 9x18 is pretty nice once you install a Wolff spring kit to fix the DA trigger pull.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the excellent points. I guess I'll keep looking. Small autos are just not anything I've previously considered.

The LCP does look like one to check out.

Small size is a prime concern so she will wear it. She's a young, slender, pretty girl and dresses like young, slender, pretty girls. She's a good girl, just happy with how she looks.

I guess I was way off with the PPK.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The PPK is an excellent gun - but there are so many better options out there. I love mine and still wear it occasionally. But it is so heavy compared to everything newer.

Try the PPS, LCP, Sig P238, etc

Good luck with your search

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has she expressed an interest for carrying on her body? I have no problem dressing around a gun but I know others who have no desire to.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No Nightops, it's not been purchased yet and I will see that she knows exactly what she is getting.

I know it's easy to pick it out for her, but that's a sure way to get her something she won't shoot well and carry.

I know many think the .380 is marginal, but I really think she won't like a 9mm. Plus, she asked for a .380 and you know daughters get almost anything they ask their daddy's for. :) But, when it comes to her safety.....

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bratch, she's got it in her head that an ankle rig is what she'll like best, but I just don't see that working out like she thinks. It doesn't look like the best choice to access in a crisis. Maybe a BUG, but not a primary. I'll let her pack one around that way in practice until she's sure.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know many think the .380 is marginal, but I really think she won't like a 9mm.

I just want to clarify I didn't mean for it to sound as if I was criticizing the choice of cartridge. I myself have an LCP and would not carry it if I did not have confidence in the .380.

I just wished to point out that the PPK is as big as a 9mm, and if you are carrying a .380 blowback that pistol that size, you could be carrying a 9mm locked-breech armament that shoots a larger round and does so more comfortably.

If she's set on a .380 concealed piece (no reason she shouldn't be, it makes for a perfect-sized carry gun), she should definitely look smaller, and locked-breech (which most offerings are). That all-metal PPK would be hell strapped to an ankle all day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom