Whats the going rate for a hunting lease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the location. I talked to a rancher the other day that had 100 acres he wanted to put up for a deer lease. 80 acres of it was pasture and 20 acres were trees. He wanted $10 an acre and couldn't get a buyer.
Leased land had to have the potential to produce good deer. If the landowner has pics of big deer year around, they can draw premium price.
80 acres with some dink trees and the occasional doe, isn't going to get an offer.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a father with 2 boys that would be interested. The father brought his oldest to my OYHP hunt in 2019 and they have come back to help each year. The youngest got to hunt in our hunt in 2021 because a couple of the hunters didn't show up.

I know folks that have hunting leases for a handshake and taking care of the place to as much as $10 per acre. I have heard of Outfitters paying more but from what I have seen they will try to run as many hunters as possible through all of the seasons to profit as much as they can. Mismanagement and over harvest is common among the lease holding outfitters because they will just find new property after a few years.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Around here, your average guy can forget about it.

I have been looking for land to buy, even just 20 acres, $500,000 or more. Its nuts.

I found a decent house with 10 acres, its land locked but there are 2 easements to allow access that are being used, $300,000. I walked away esp with interest rates, I have strong credit and was quoted 7.25 for a 30 year fixed rate.

I have heard of leases going for $30 an acre and higher now.

Thankfully I have access to my cousins land in the shawnee area, so if I want really want to drag my rear out there I can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom