Leasing land for cattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
put your land into production. learn the ropes make some mistakes and learn from them. if you want educated advice then give us some info. what kind of soil what county and area? what kind of grass do you have? what is your water source? then we can estimate how many acres per cow or visa versa time on grass etc. continuous grazing for some grasses is a big NO and ok for others.
Great suggestion! I may just do that and if I do, I will ping back with more info on what I have as I am definitely new to the game and do not know what I am doing.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would really like to do something really crazy like get three or four bison. No real reason other than I think it would be pretty interesting. Good meat too.
Bison can’t be contained with standard fencing, let alone the kind that is seen often along country roads. Go to Pawhuska to the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve to see the fencing used by the Nature Conservancy to control their herd of over 2000 bison.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bison can’t be contained with standard fencing, let alone the kind that is seen often along country roads. Go to Pawhuska to the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve to see the fencing used by the Nature Conservancy to control their herd of over 2000 bison.
Bison can be easily managed right up until the millisecond that they are not. then they all react at once and it is katey bar the doors. and you need a very secure handling facility. but if a bison operator wants to rent the pasture he would most likely have the necessary equipment to handle them. it is doable but not for beginners.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was fixing to say if you go bison get ready to chase them down cause the normal fencing you see for cattle wont keep them in and they will just walk right thru it and go where they want. Had a guy here try it and they was always getting out the last time they traveled over 5 miles in a day going thru several fences and down roadways and they finally had to dart one of them to get it caught and loaded in a trailer and he sold them as quick as he could.

Latest posts

Top Bottom