Leasing land for cattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about leasing some of my land for cattle but have never done it before. How does it work if I do, per cow or per acre?

Also, how much is reasonable and market rate? It has plenty of water on it.

I am not sure if I will but toying around with the idea to help eat some of my greens.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im against leasing land for grazing for the simple fact i have seen to many people destroy good pasture land by over grazing it, they want to run as many head on it that they can to get the most for their dollar and end up over grazing it. And if you put a limit on how many head they can run per acre then it becomes hard to lease.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We rent our pasture for $24 per acre which is probably too cheap.
Dang! I don't even get half that in Roger mills County. Actually my cousin makes more off the government bc of the drought than he pays me. It's a good feeling when he makes more money off leasing my land than I do. :) I will never run cattle so for me it's a good idea to keep it grazed. He does however treat the land as it should be treated. It is also part of the lease that he makes improvements to the land every year.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say rent it out for how ever much your property taxes are per year. Boom, set, freebie, and you can enjoy livestock.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
put your land into production. learn the ropes make some mistakes and learn from them. if you want educated advice then give us some info. what kind of soil what county and area? what kind of grass do you have? what is your water source? then we can estimate how many acres per cow or visa versa time on grass etc. continuous grazing for some grasses is a big NO and ok for others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom