Whats the going rate for a hunting lease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would be throwing your money and time away.
I do work for three deer leases, and all I hear from the guys on them is that there aren’t any deer. All three are big pine plantations. They occasionally get a good buck on camera, but they never see anything consistently. Well duh?!? The deer are only moving through, because there’s not much to sustain them in amongst pine trees as thick as the hair on a dog’s butt.
One of the leases is pretty cheap, but two of them charge $2500 for one stand location.
The moral to the story is don’t lease land and expect to see deer where deer don’t live.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which side of Okfuskee are y’all on? I’m towards the East. I won’t tell you what I paid for mine over there, but it was low three figures. Only way it’s leaving the family is if we run out of family or the Good Lord comes back.
Ours is west of hwy75 and south of i40. Buddy bought several years before us south of weleetka and all except 80 ac was under $1000/ac and has river frontage too.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. A land purchase is probably going to be a great investment in the long run. I bought a 11/2 acre lot next to my OKC home/property mainly to keep it from being developed into a too close neighbor. I paid $15K for that. Good grief $10K/acre probably 15 years ago. Should I ever go crazy and decide to sell it I would probably triple my inves

Ours is west of hwy75 and south of i40. Buddy bought several years before us south of weleetka and all except 80 ac was under $1000/ac and has river frontage too.
Lucky Dog! spent a lot of years down that way hunting deer!

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The deer are only moving through, because there’s not much to sustain them in amongst pine trees as thick as the hair on a dog’s butt.
That’s the case on my place. They do seem to come onto my place to bed down so I generally see them early morning or late evening

Birdseed

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother-in-law had a 1200 acre ranch that I was able to hunt for several years, until lawyers and doctors found out about the ranch, they wrote a check every year for $25,000.00. End of my deer hunting and that’s OK.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do work for three deer leases, and all I hear from the guys on them is that there aren’t any deer. All three are big pine plantations. They occasionally get a good buck on camera, but they never see anything consistently. Well duh?!? The deer are only moving through, because there’s not much to sustain them in amongst pine trees as thick as the hair on a dog’s butt.
One of the leases is pretty cheap, but two of them charge $2500 for one stand location.
The moral to the story is don’t lease land and expect to see deer where deer don’t live.
I will relate a story told to me by the Grant County GW that scored a buck at 190 B&C a kid killed on 7 acres.
Kid ln his teens lived in the area, working ground for the family farm and watched a big buck walk out of a leased area along the Salt Fork River every morning when the lessee's came on the property in 4 wheelers, riding right up to their blinds, headlights blazing in the dark. The buck always walked out and stayed in this little grove of trees all day.
He set up in the little grove and shot that buck when it crossed. Currently stands as the largest buck killed in Grant County.

Latest posts

Top Bottom