When did "We have a deal, I'll take it!" lose its definition?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too bad our feedback rating system went away with new ownership...

It's still there; it's just little different than it used to be - you click on a member's name and it will pull his or her info up, and there is a link there to leave feedback. I just used it after an ammo trade the other day. It works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that anyone can sign up and post an ad the same day ,this place ain't much better than armslist

Well, it just requires us to be a little more careful anyway. I am not a big fan of the fact that people can do as you said, but it's not a big deal to me. I do prefer to at least know someone from a their posts before I'm comfortable doing a transaction with them. I liked the old way better too but it's not my site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great comments and participation on this subject...thanks!

I am not so myopic on the buying and selling aspect that I could not be understanding of a situation where something arises that does cause a significant enough issue that the deal isn't consummated.

I am also not counting a deal as done until their is a firm and mutually understood agreement on the details (condition, price, meeting location date/time/place, and I will buy your gun from you.) While I like discussing that, I also like confirming in writing with each other via email the details so we have a written record to refer to and keep.

I am also not talking about someone just asking for more information, or negotiating, or saying they will give it some thought, or asking for more time to think it over, or saying hey will look around and get back to me, etc. That is still the talking stage and no deal has been finalized.

What I don't consider significant enough after committing to buy and me committing to sell and us setting a date/place/time are:

• Forgetting they had something the next day and don't know when they could ever set another meeting

• The night before the meeting when the would-be buyer sends an email claiming he had been thinking about asking himself if he was being too compulsive about this gun hobby and was going to pass on the opportunity and reconsider his own collection

• Not showing up to a meeting location midway between both of you to save them travel distance and they never show or contact you or respond to contacts, yet they are still active on the gun sites later that day

• Not being willing to work out a mutually agreeable meeting even when you tell them to name it and you will be there

• Meeting and the would-be buyer says they don't have enough money but would give you $250 cash right then for the gun they agreed to pay $450 for. On this one, I told him I would not sell it to him for twice the agreed price just on principle.

The large majority of folks I have sold various items to over the years have been fine upstanding people. I don't do this for a living and am only selling some of the guns that I bought that are more in number than I want to keep and too similar to some I am keeping.

It doesn't hurt me significantly when they don't sell and the deals like mentioned above don't go through, but I would like to (naively maybe) think that a person's word is still their bond more often than has happened to me and other sellers (and sometimes buyers) in the past year.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cash right then? WTF? Was he thinking something other than cash was an option for the $450? Yeah, right me a check buddy.

I hate when people do stuff like that. Dude, if you wanted to try to deal, be up front about it. Don't agree to the deal and then try to haggle me down when i show up. You just end up disappointing both of us.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate when people do stuff like that. Dude, if you wanted to try to deal, be up front about it. Don't agree to the deal and then try to haggle me down when i show up. You just end up disappointing both of us.

Only happened once to me, but I have heard from other folks who had that happen. Not talking about a situation where the buyer and seller agree to change the price because of a discrepancy in the model or condition of the gun.

This was just, "Hey, I don't have enough money. I will give you $250."

I asked him why, since he obviously knew he didn't have enough money before he left to meet me, why he didn't contact me to tell me that.

He laughed and said it was because I wouldn't have met him and he wouldn't have a chance to buy it for $250.

I told him he didn't have a chance now to buy it for $250...or $450...or $900.

He laughed again and got into his truck and left.

Takes all kinds I guess...

Last edited:

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only happened once, but I have heard from other folks who had that happen. Not talking about a situation where the buyer and seller agree to change the price because of a discrepancy in the model or condition of the gun.

This was just, "Hey, I don't have enough money. I will give you $250."

I asked him why, since he obviously knew he didn't have enough money before he left to meet me, why he didn't contact me to tell me that.

He laughed and said it was because I wouldn't have met him and he wouldn't have a chance to buy it for $250.

I told him he didn't have a chance now to buy it for $250...or $450...or $900.

He laughed again and got into his truck and left.

Takes all kinds I guess...
I've had that happen before.

Irritates me. if it happened often enough I'd just make it a contract so if he did that I could sue him in small claims court haha

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I"ve made a few deals that I instantly regretted, however once I make the deal, I follow through regardless............... I expect the same when I sell............

I wish that were the case with everyone. I hope you update said offender's feedback profile accordingly.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had two guys say they'll take it and then ask if I'll take less once we met. Also had another not show up when I drove all the way to Tulsa from okc to meet.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Are these OSA people that are backing out on deals or yahoos from other sites?

I only recall one guy from here jerking me around on a deal, and he disappeared with some other folks money after everyone thought he was a god for starting a $6 gunshow.

I deal with OSA members 99.9% of the time because there are too many idiots on other sites.

Latest posts

Top Bottom