When you buy new ammuntion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What determines what Ammo you buy

• Cost is #1 factor

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I don't buy the cheap stuff but I buy a step up.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • I only buy the best I can find

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I reload but do buy some (please elaborate)

Votes: 17 34.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you buy new ammunition do you usually look for whats on sale or for a specific brand, bullet weight, Pretty box???

I am putting together lists of supplies I will need to buy to stock the new store but have like 8 different brands of ammunition to choose from. Some cheap, some not so cheap, and some that would scare off, well ME.

I cannot afford to stock 3 or 4 different brands of ammo as a new business but want to stock what will sell.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me personally I because I am don't have a lot of money go to the devil er Wally world and Bass Pro. Wally has the Winchester white box 100 rnd FMJ 9mm for just under $20 and I go to BPS for Winchester SXZ 9mm JHP 50 rnd for about $20. If that helps any. This of course for the OKC area.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm unemployed so I do shop price. I collect my brass and intend to reload sometime before too long. Now, having said that, I will not buy ultra cheap ammo like that Tula steel cased stuff. I want the casings.

I ended up having to order ammo at a store today. It was pricey. $27.50 with tax for a box of 50. However, it would cost me at least that if I were to mail order. And I get to support a local business. We all win that way.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually buy in the cheaper range, but I won't usually buy the cheap ammo Wal-Mart carries because of quality concerns. Other than that, I buy the bullet weight I like in the brand the gun likes.

And then for self defense, I also buy Gold Dots.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the CCI Blazer ammo. It's inexpensive yet brass casing. You can usually find it for around $10.99 per box(50) for 9MM. For self-defense, I like Federal Hydra-Shoks, Hornady Critical-Defense or Winchester Silver Tips(I believe they still make these).

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, for rifle, 223 I buy the wally world federal 100 round box for $40, the remington 550 golden bullet for 22 for $15, and I like military surplus... cause its cheap.....and for 45, I buy WWB when I don;t reload my own...
--Mech

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy Expensive HP ammo for SD but it hardly ever gets shot so I would only carry one type of SD ammo. Say Gold Dots in all major SD calibers, .380, 9mm, 40, and 45. Other than that for range time I buy the cheapest ammo I can find that is brass cased ball ammo. No steel cased anything in any of my handguns/rifles.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stock what makes you the most profit and can be somewhat competitive on price.
You will probably sell more self defense/ home defense and specialty ammo if your prices are good.

The cheap azz's in Tulsa will still mail order or gunshow their ammo no matter how cheap you are.
You would be better off to sell at same price as Dong's/sports world and offer a OSA/NRA/Gunclub
discount.

Most of your future customers travel from gunshop to gunshop comparing prices.
Then they go to the cheapest shop and try to haggle the prices down further.
especially reloaders they will spend $20 in gas driving all over town to save 50 cents on a thousand primers.

But then what do I know? Only 25 years experience in the gun biz in Tulsa.

Just remember you have to make a profit to keep the lights on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom