When you buy new ammuntion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What determines what Ammo you buy

• Cost is #1 factor

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I don't buy the cheap stuff but I buy a step up.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • I only buy the best I can find

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I reload but do buy some (please elaborate)

Votes: 17 34.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you buy new ammunition do you usually look for whats on sale or for a specific brand, bullet weight, Pretty box???

I am putting together lists of supplies I will need to buy to stock the new store but have like 8 different brands of ammunition to choose from. Some cheap, some not so cheap, and some that would scare off, well ME.

I cannot afford to stock 3 or 4 different brands of ammo as a new business but want to stock what will sell.
Nice to know that someone is looking for possible customer input.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which Wally World still has the WWB 9mm for under $20???????? In Lawton that box costs 23.95 at one and 22.95 at another. If I could find it for under 20 I might grab some.

Dave
Southside I-240 & Sante Fe in Oklahoma City And Northside near Penn Square Mall on Belle Isle both have it for just under $20 After tax I can get 2 boxes for just under $44

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually buy cheapish stuff from Walmart when I buy. Other than .22, I've largely bought to collect brass to reload. I also shoot a fair amount of milsurp ammo.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually buy the cheapest brass cased ammo I can find for plinking and usually cheap steel cased for matches, For hunting I only use my reloaded ammo, carry ammo (I know this may upset some) I use the cheapest brass cased HP's they have.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should have selected "I reload but I do buy some". That aside, there is no point in spending on ammo that is top shelf, so to speak, unless you want close-to-match-grade performance out of it because you don't/can't handload. Every time I compete or go shoot at a range there are handloads, WWB, and Federal. Sometimes there are other low-cost brands. Federal also happens to manufacture their ammo for rebranding by some of the other companies. The only time to really shoot SD ammo is to function test it, and that doesn't amount to many rounds. I'd stock WWB and Federal and call it good.

Ronk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only buy SD and rimfire over the counter - everything else is reloaded.

^ Yes ^ I buy ammo at the store if I didn't get time to reload and wanted to get to the range or if I need cases for a new gun/caliber. I agree with one of the other poster about carrying reloading equipment and supplies. I think we need more competition in town over the reloading supplies...

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i usually buy surplus 8mm and 7.62x54.i have to buy the expensive stuff for my 7mm mauser because i cant find surplus for it.i buy wolf or monarch for my AK.and i use 1965 match for my garand.my shotgun is at sportsworld because it kept screwing up even though its a 870.it might have been the winchester universal i was using.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're in the reload but buy some category. We buy the expensive stuff for everyday carry ... Shoot it off every 3 months and buy some more. If we buy plinking ammo it is never the aluminum cased stuff. That way we can use the casings to reload some more.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Federal to me, is the cheapest best. They would be the Consumer Reports Best Buy for sure. My shotguns, rimfires, and 9mms all shoot the Federal very well. It always goes bang and is generally the cheapest at Walmart. I would also look into stocking commercial reloads. Ive shot some bvac and red river ammo company reloads and they shoot fine. They arent as good as federal, but are $2 cheaper per box.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to buy the cheapest available from established brands like Winchester, Remington, UMC, or Federal. If it's one of the steel-cased import brands like Wolf, I'll pass unless the price difference is considerable (25% or more), as I don't like the messy residue they leave behind in the chamber.
My one exception is .22 ammo. If I am plinking, I go for the cheapest bulk. If I am doing bullseye shooting, I will spend more for good standard-velocity target ammo (specifically, Remington when I can find it).

Agree w/you ^^^^^ except for .22 and I will buy what works best in my gun. Some Federal bulk doesn't work for me. I will buy Wolf or Tula for plinking the big calibers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom