Where’s the best place to get knives sharpened in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Cat

Marksman
Reaction score
I know how to sharpen a knife, but if you don't, then get a Lanskey Kit, they work fantastic. Also remember that if you use the wrong degree to make it razor sharp, you stand the chance of chipping the blade.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago I took up shaving with a straight razor - mainly because I like to learn new things. What I didn’t expect was how much I learned about edges, how to get them, how to keep them, how to tell when an edge needs a touch-up, a new bevel, or a whole new grind, how to get something sharp without wasting metal, etc. etc.

Today, all I use to sharpening regular knives is a 1x30 belt sander from Harbor Freight ($50). I use belts from 240 grit to 2 micron + leather belts with & without compound — depending on the state of the blade when I start.
For razors and tool blades (e.g. planers) I use a sheet of glass and paper from 800 - 6000 grit stuck to the glass with water (spray bottle) and board-mounted strops with & without compound.

I used to dread sharpening and my knives were usually dull. Now I look around nearly every weekend for something to sharpen or touch-up.
For me, it changed from work to fun after really starting to understand there’s more to sharpening than just taking off metal.

I highly recommend switching to a straight razor. Best shave ever and you might just learn something you weren’t expecting.
Where do you get the other grades of belts? AFAIK or can find out, Harbor Freight only has a few grades of grits in their belts. Where do you get, for example, the leather belt, and other grit sizes? Thanks.

tylojuky

Marksman
Reaction score
Where do you get the other grades of belts? AFAIK or can find out, Harbor Freight only has a few grades of grits in their belts. Where do you get, for example, the leather belt, and other grit sizes? Thanks.
I order them online from a few places depending on who has what at the time.
Trugrit.com - usually my 1st try
Empireabrasives.com - but they hardly ever have the really fine grits
Combatabrasives.com - hit or miss
Redlabelabrasives.com - they have pretty good assortment sets if you don’t have anything to start with.
I think I got my leather belts on Amazon.

The challenge lately has been finding ultra fine belts like 9 micron & especially 2 micron. They’re not really required - just spend more time on the compounded leather - but they save a little time.

If you’re not familiar, look up a table that translates “grit” to “microns” so you know what you’re ordering.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the guy to see at H &H.

Attachments

• 99994347-CFAE-4363-9BC2-88F02C96841A.jpeg
    99994347-CFAE-4363-9BC2-88F02C96841A.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Top Bottom