Where’s the best place to get knives sharpened in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That Amazon post of a knife sharpener will make a knife sharp but will also need to be used again and again as it will remove a lot of steel from a blade and you do not get a smooth finish. I have used one decades ago when I was a teen and it was good in a pinch for kitchen knives.
AFAIK, those are always carbide cutters. Efficient, but not smooth.

On of the best 5 bucks I ever spent was on a ceramic sharpener from Harbor Freight. It has two ceramic rods mounted at a steep angle, and slightly forward/back from one another.

The space between the rods allows you to vary the angle of cut on the blade.
___

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad and grandpa's were extremely partial to whetstone. When I moved out, it coincidentally coincided with my mom moving the household to Cutco stuff so she had no further use for her knife sharpener, which I know has to be older than dirt but I use it on all my personal blades.

PXL_20220213_181604030.jpg
PXL_20220213_181608766.jpg
PXL_20220213_181627148.jpg

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the Amazon style sharpener because I prefer a working edge. To me a razor sharp edge gets dull too fast. A couple pulls thru the sharpener is enough for what I need. If I want to clean it up a bit I use a whetstone. The stone I inherited from my Father-N-law is the best I have used.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with El Pablo on this...you should really try to learn it yourself. If you do take it to someone, take it to someone that does not use a machine.

tylojuky

Marksman
Reaction score
Several years ago I took up shaving with a straight razor - mainly because I like to learn new things. What I didn’t expect was how much I learned about edges, how to get them, how to keep them, how to tell when an edge needs a touch-up, a new bevel, or a whole new grind, how to get something sharp without wasting metal, etc. etc.

Today, all I use to sharpening regular knives is a 1x30 belt sander from Harbor Freight ($50). I use belts from 240 grit to 2 micron + leather belts with & without compound — depending on the state of the blade when I start.
For razors and tool blades (e.g. planers) I use a sheet of glass and paper from 800 - 6000 grit stuck to the glass with water (spray bottle) and board-mounted strops with & without compound.

I used to dread sharpening and my knives were usually dull. Now I look around nearly every weekend for something to sharpen or touch-up.
For me, it changed from work to fun after really starting to understand there’s more to sharpening than just taking off metal.

I highly recommend switching to a straight razor. Best shave ever and you might just learn something you weren’t expecting.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago I took up shaving with a straight razor - mainly because I like to learn new things. What I didn’t expect was how much I learned about edges, how to get them, how to keep them, how to tell when an edge needs a touch-up, a new bevel, or a whole new grind, how to get something sharp without wasting metal, etc. etc.
Kudos, Sir. That's impressive in this day and age. :thumb:

I have an old straight razor and sharpening stone that belonged to my Dad's uncle (he was born in 1888). Not sure, but the razor may have an ivory handle (it's yellowed like old piano keys).

The stone has two layers. The coarse side barely has any texture to it, and the finishing side feels smooth as glass. I put a super smooth edge on a pocket knife or two with it, but it's a bit of overkill for that (to me anyway).
___

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Today, all I use to sharpening regular knives is a 1x30 belt sander from Harbor Freight ($50). I use belts from 240 grit to 2 micron + leather belts with & without compound — depending on the state of the blade when I start.
For razors and tool blades (e.g. planers) I use a sheet of glass and paper from 800 - 6000 grit stuck to the glass with water (spray bottle) and board-mounted strops with & without compound.

I used to dread sharpening and my knives were usually dull. Now I look around nearly every weekend for something to sharpen or touch-up.
For me, it changed from work to fun after really starting to understand there’s more to sharpening than just taking off metal.

I highly recommend switching to a straight razor. Best shave ever and you might just learn something you weren’t expecting.
I could see me having to learn on very short notice how to stitch up my own jugular. :rollingla

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kitchen knives get the carbide roll treatment. You can get some amazing edges with soft steel. Easy touch up.
For the knives that cost money, I use the paper wheels with the white rouge from the UK.
You don't have a bevel using the paper wheels, so one has to decide to use a stone which does require a precise bevel or the wheels.
Woodcrafters sells the wheels along with the rouge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom