Where is your pistol, or weapon of choice, when you are at home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My gun is on me 24/7. I even carry it in the shower.

My weapon is usually on my hip or in arm's reach. ;)

No kids in our house. Just me and da wife. She has her own pistols too.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
always withing arms length. most of the time not chambered but alway a full mag. its just me and my girlfriend and sometimes her mom. but even with others around its still within my reach or on my side. always prepaired for the zombies lol :fullauto::giveup:

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't afford to use a firearm that fails to stop in the first shot 90% of the time. Unfortunately that describes just about every handgun. Read everything written by Dr. Martin Fackler and Wound Ballistics research.

Unless you want to shoot someone then try out your Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, you need to employ a long gun in self defense.

Centerfire Rifles have stopping power. With the correct load, and within the proper distance, so do shotguns. When someone is in your house, coming after you with a knife, you don't have time to dance around with them. You need to stop them immediately.

Handguns are for walking around in public where you can not normally carry a long gun. In your home there is no such restriction.

Of course this is my opinion, I welcome discussion/debate.

:)

Fiddy

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read everything written by Dr. Martin Fackler and Wound Ballistics research.

Unless you want to shoot someone then try out your Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, you need to employ a long gun in self defense.

Centerfire Rifles have stopping power. With the correct load, and within the proper distance, so do shotguns. You need to stop them immediately.

Handguns are for walking around in public where you can not normally carry a long gun. In your home there is no such restriction.

Of course this is my opinion, I welcome discussion/debate.

:)

Fiddy

oK here is the debate.
I've killed well over 200 deer. Some with a .45 acp, some with a .44 mag, most with a 30-06 or .270, or AR in .223, or Ar in .243 WSSM, or .300 Savage, Bow, and others I can't even remember.

Some within 10 yds with an 06, and some at 400+yds.
All pistol kills have been within 20 yds.

Post mortum observations:
Shoot any of them through the lungs, double or single lung shot, and they will run 20-100 yds depending on the bullet selection.
Shoot through both shoulders, taking out the heart, they will still make 20+ yds running with their chest on the ground dragging the broken front legs.

Shoot one thru the lungs with a bow or gun, pretty much the same result.
Exception being if somebody uses HP ammo. On a lung shot, it will result in a quicker kill. Hp ammo designed for varmints is not acceptable. HP like the Sierra Game king is designed for deer sized game.

No weapon( I"m ruling out the .50 BMG that none of us have in our dresser drawer) will stop anything in their tracks unless the central nervous system is taken out. Neck, brain, spine, etc.
#1 Reason the SD schools teach the 15-17 foot rule about not getting close to an advisary.
Human targets, especially those on drugs are no different.
Pistols are only a stopgap method to get to a rifle. Keep both handy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom