Which 7.62 x 39 rifle to buy??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 7.62 x 39 rifle to buy?

• SKS

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • AK 47

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • Mini 30

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other 7.62 x 39 rifle

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Trade ammo for another 30 cal rifle format

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd have to say the AK as well. Prices for the SKS are just too high now, IMO, you won't save a lot of money by choosing one over the AK. AK-47 mags are fairly cheap and plentiful.

I never really thought the Mini 30 was that great an idea. It's a more expensive platform for the 7.62x39 and until just a few months ago offered nothing in the way of decent normal capacity magazines. Not sure what old Bill was thinking there.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AK AK AK...Keep your eyes open you can find some great deals. I've heard you may run into trouble shooting brass out of AK's and SKS due to how hard the firing pins hit the primers. These guns are designed to fire ammo with hard steel primers.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking most slam fire issues can be solved by keeping oil and crud out of the firing pin channel. As well as cleaning it very well initially. There's cosmoline in there.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was referring to puncturing the primer. I've never had a slam fire.

I have had slam fire(s) in the past. Remington factory 7.62x39 in an SKS that had been very well cleaned (including the firing pin channel). I released the bolt and it fired 4 shots with my finger not close to the trigger. Luckily it was sand-bagged well or things may have become very interesting. Being young and stupid, I loaded 2 more rounds in the mag and repeated the slam fire experience. I finished that box of ammo loading only 1 at a time and not letting the bolt fall so far when chambering them.

Military rifles with floating firing pins need harder primers for slam fire insurance.
BTDT and don't care to repeat the experience.

Norm

New to the site!
Reaction score
Im the new guy and I would vote for the Century AK WASR. I bought mine and it came with 2 Tapco mags, a cleaning kit and sling. It has also proven to be reliable and pretty accurate. I dont heat mine up and shoot it slow like my bolt rifles. Just make sure the sites are vertical and that the magazine well doesnt let the magazine wobble all over. After that use your judgment.

Right now out here you can them for around 449.00. There of course the Arsenal rifles but they cost more maybe double but they are supposed to be great. Check on those prices as I could be off a bit. Good Luck.

TJohn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a radical thought if you are open to it. Try a CZ Model 527. It is a nifty little bolt-action carbine in 7.62 Soviet. You can also get them in 223.
CZ decided to go with what appears to be a basic Mauser action and I love mine. It is light and handy, seems to be a good sturdy little carbine, and would make an excellent deer gun. It does have a couple of disadvantages, though, both connected with the magazines. The magazines are expensive and they stick out rather far under the receiver just where most people carry the gun. For me with my big paws, this is not a problem, but it might be for some folks. And because it is a Mauser, it is inadvisable to chamber a round except through the magazine, due to the extractor design.
Plus, due to to the low cost of the 7.62X39 round, I can shoot this gun all day and not break the bank.
Just thought that I'd throw this out there FWIW.

Latest posts

Top Bottom