Which 7.62 x 39 rifle to buy??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 7.62 x 39 rifle to buy?

• SKS

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • AK 47

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • Mini 30

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other 7.62 x 39 rifle

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Trade ammo for another 30 cal rifle format

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, if you do shoot those 650 rounds of brass cased ammo and don't reload please pick them up and sell those empty cartridge cases here.

theonetrucheese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
had an sks and an Arsenal ak, the two weapons were worlds apart in price. but there was no comparison in quality and performance. you definitely get what you pay for.

Reaction score
Yes you did - the best one - the Robinson XCR. It is available now in 7.62x39. Why not get a vastly superior platform to the AK for your round of choice? Or not quite as good, but better than an AK - an AR15 in 7.62x39.

Are you implying that the AR platform is as reliable as the AK platform?

No, but I'm stating it's "Better" overall, by good margin, being equally reliable, for all practical intents and purposes, for civilian use, and blowing it away in other factors like ergos and ease of accessorization.

But my main point is the BEST, bar none, without question, by a million miles, over either, is the Robinson XCR. It's an AK operation system, with AR ergos & accessorizability, plus extreme modularity, and other additional features such as adjustable gas system, as would be found on the FAL and Sig 55x family.

I have an AK, but just to piss off blissninnies - when I want something fun to shoot, OR a serious tool - either one, it's an AR or the XCR. The AK is kinda fun, but it's mostly just to have for historical interest and to hopefully get the blisnninnys' panties in a twist.

Remember, AKs are made in 5.56x45 - and yet, for some reason, they're 1/1,000th as popular as AKs in that chambering - if that - and for good reason. It's not the chambering that matters, since you can get either in either - it's the platform. And frankly, yes, the AR is much better overall, and can be had in any caliber you can dream up, pretty much.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a little late to this subject, but for what it's worth, if we're talking best for the price, I'd go with an SKS. However, to be safe, you should figure in a little extra money for a spring loaded firing pin (Murray's) and a trigger job (Kivarri) is a must if you're shooting domestic ammo (and desireable with any ammo). Actually, you could do the trigger job yourself. Once done, you've got Mr Dependable.

I've owned many SKS's (none right now). Russians are the best IMO and most Chinese are just behind. I've never owned a Yugo. They just don't feel right. Yeah! I know! That's not very objective.

If the 10 round mag of the standard SKS doesn't fit your bill, get ready to pay a little more and get a D or M for factory 30 round capacity.

I've had several SKS's that I've sold in recent years that I'd really like to have back.

Interestingly enough, I now have an AK (NHM 90) which is a cool rifle. I feel very comfortable with it. The negative with it is price. You can get some of the current iterations of AK for $400+, but the quality seems lessened in recent years, at least in my estimation.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AKM FTW!! Cheap, reliable, indestructible, need I say more...

WASR AK platforms are fine. I've owned a couple, and still own one. The last one I sold was combat accurate and I had ZERO malfunctions after thousands of rounds and years of fun. I never would have sold it, but the price was right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom