Which caliber to get a T/C Icon classic in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about snagging an Icon Classic this weekend since T/C is offering a $150 factory rebate on them right now (any Icon, IINM), and since they are awesome rifles.

Question is, go with .270 Win or .30-06? I have reloading dies, bullets, and brass for both, and like both.

Here are the calibers I already have in large-game-hunting-suitable rifles:

-.243 Win (x2)
-.30-30 Win (x1)
-.260 Rem (x1)
-.280 Rem (x1)
-.30-06 (x1)
-9.3x62mm (x1)
-.45-70 (x2)
-12 ga slug (x1)

No .270 at present - sold them to simplify my life some. Should I keep my life more simple and refrain from adding a caliber previously eliminated, and therefore get a .30-'06? Or should I get a another .270 since since well, everyone needs a .270 and since I still have components left? Leaning toward staying simple but redundant and going with .30-06.

Thanks. Please don't say 7 remmag or .300 winmag, as I eliminated those calibers too, already (more than once)! :)

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon.php

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree that everyone needs a .270. I've been getting along great without one for almost 20 years. I could probably go another 20 years without one. Heck, I could probably live out the remainder of my days without wanting a .270.

All of the necked-down '06 cased rounds fail to impress me as much as the real .30-'06 deal does.

I have to admit that the Icon isn't something I am terribly interested in, but if I were, I'd get in in .30 T/C just to try something that few people will probably ever experience.

-JP

Reaction score
Thanks for the input; went with .30-06. Much as I miss my beloved .270, it's really be pre-empted by the very-similar yet arguably-superior .280 rem. I think the .270 is gone for good as a caliber in my collection. I still may reload for it for my buddy and brother who have one.

MoBoost, thanks but I have 6 or 7 muzzleloading rifles including 4 Hawkens. Maybe 8; love them. I have many bows also. And many other rifles too; these are just my deer/elk/plains game, etc. hunters.

I'm buying it (did buy it) because I'm very keen on the Icon value including the 1 MOA accuracy *certification* (which is better than a guarantee), and want the rifle, and want to take advantage of the $150 rebate. I now have two Icons, which are bar none, the best turnbolt rifle value going in the world right now - well at least in the USA. And also just because I'm one of those 'gun nuts' and I have a major stiffie for beautiful, high-quality turnbolt rifles for some reason. Also because I hope and plan to do a LOT of hunting in N.A. and elsewhere before I croak, particularly after retirement, and I want to be "ready to go" when I hit retirement so I can do more hunting and less messing with gear and familiarizing myself with rifles and how they shoot.

Get this - the rebate I'll be getting from T/C will total $225 - $150 for the Icon, and $75 more if you buy a Nikon Monarch scope simultaneously with the Icon. Or instead you could get +$50 for a Buckmaster Coyote scope, or +$25 for a ProStaff scope.

So I got a Monarch 2-8x32mm, and Leupold PRW rings (nice rings). I'm about to assemble this rig as soon as I get some yard work done!

But I must say that either way you go, your not going to top your .280Rem!

You got that straight, JMiller! :D :thumb2: Well, it might *equal* the 700 CDL/Mountain in .280!

Hey, anyone know WHICH factory 'reduced recoil' .30-06 load is the highest quality / most accurate? What is there, just Rem & Win? Or do Federal and Hornady have a R.R. load?

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm buying it (did buy it) because I'm very keen on the Icon value including the 1 MOA accuracy *certification* (which is better than a guarantee), and want the rifle, and want to take advantage of the $150 rebate..... And also just because I'm one of those 'gun nuts' and I have a major stiffie for beautiful, high-quality turnbolt rifles for some reason.

Yeah, Dr., I know what its like to have a major stiffie for a beautiful, high quality turnbolt rifle.....

I once owned a Model 1903 Springfield converted to sporter configuration by Griffin and Howe in 1927. That was, is, and evermore shall remain the sexiest bolt action rifle ever made.

It got burned up in a fire about 15 years ago. I am still looking for a proper replacement.

I hope you enjoy your Icon!

-JP

Latest posts

Top Bottom